King James I not running

David-1217278

I have a Select controller which is newly bought and shows 20 30 03 on start up. I've checked power supply to a test section of rail. With the factory installed analogue card present I can hear a whirring from loco (pre-owned but looks immaculate). The loco does not, however, respond to controller when set to analogue mode. On correct installation of a DCC decoder, placing loco on track causes Select LCD to flash. It appears to be flashing the numeral 20, but as it's flickering I cannot be 100% sure. Impossible to get beyond this point. Any help appreciated.

The newer Selects are set with DC running OFF as default so all you are doing is cooking your loco motor when it is rigged as analogue.

The whirring you hear is the motor buzzing as it protests against being fed 15VAC.

The flashing display means you have an overload situation (likely a short circuit) and the 1-amp power supply is self protecting by dropping its output voltage causing the Select to continually reboot. Sort out your short or overload and it will work as advertised.

Analogue support in the newer Selects have been disabled at the factory for a very good reason, which is that this historical function damages Analogue motors. The Select manual [version 1.5 and below] states that although the feature is available in these earlier releases [yours is version 2.0] the analogue feature is not recommended to be used.

You should never try to operate an analogue locomotive on DCC power even if what you have read indicates that it is supported. You should always fit a DCC decoder for DCC operation.

As Rob has indicated, your DCC decoder installation appears to have created a 'short circuit'.

@David

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there is definitely more than one member with your name.