DC and connection

Hello

My son is into Hornby and has been gifted a few sets. I have created a 2 loop with shunting track and now want to make sure everything stays well connected. (Problem I had with mine when I was young...)

I haven’t really got the time right now to place a dropper on every piece of track; however, are there any time efficient ways of keeping things decent over the longer term or do I just need to bite the bullet and do it?

I am running DC and just he just received a new hm6000 controller.

thanks

Just plan for and implement a rigorous regular track and wheel cleaning regime. Plus a light level of track cleaning to remove surface dust at the start of each play session.

Just be aware that a dropper based wiring policy is aimed more at Digital DCC where all the track is live all the time and track condition is paramount for good digital DCC command data transfer. In DC [subject to layout size, and complexity] track will be powered as a number of power domains [circuits], thus any droppers that are implemented need to be connected only within their specific power domain. DC is also less sensitive to track condition compared to DCC and can be operated without a dropper based wiring policy. In DC, droppers are not really suitable for use on siding tracks [only the main ovals] as installing droppers on sidings will compromise the electrical isolation switching of the Hornby points. In other words, the sidings will never loose power to keep 'parked' locos stationary. This 'no dropper' design policy also needs to be extended to any area of the layout where self isolating Hornby points are used to electrically isolate a section of track.

I have run a full track-mat plan using several HM6000 (for track) and HM6010 (for points) modules using only the power track connectors and as long as the track to track joiners (fishplates) were tight power transfer was fine.

DC running on new track was remarkably smooth compared to my main DCC layout which needs fairly regular cleaning.