R8215 Decoder

rpjallan

Hi Everyone. I have just come across a box of half a dozen locos that has been stored away for about 10 years or so. I know all of these are fitted with Hornby decoders - a mix of R8249 and the older R8215. I want to replace the older decoders. What is the easiest way to find out which locos are fitted with the R8215? I have an Elite with the latest firmware. Thanks in advance for any help.

The R8215 only supports short DCC Addresses and cannot be programmed with long ones.

Short addresses are 001 to 127

Long addresses are 128 to 9999

I believe also [may be wrong] that you cannot read CVs on a R8215. later versions possibly read using 'reg mode' programming - see further below. Using the default 'direct' mode of the Elite is therefore likely to return all valid CV values as 255 which is a 'cannot read' response.

This info below found using a Google search. It claimed to be a copy of info found on the Hornby website published historically in the past, but probably not currently published on the new website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This decoder has now been superseded by the R8249 4 function decoder. The R8215 is a basic 4 function decoder; it does not support the following features:

1) Railcom

2) Interrogation. ****Late version decoders manufactured after November 2007 have the ability to be read in “REG” mode. These later decoders are identified by a red dot painted on the MCU chip on the circuit board. Older versions of the decoder either have no painted dots, or a white paint dot.

The R8215 supports the following CVs

CV1 - Loco Address default is 3 Range 1-127 (No long Address Support)

CV3 - Acceleration default is 5 Range 0-255

CV4 - Deceleration default is 5 Range 0-255

CV29 - the following bits are supported:

Bit0 - Default Direction - default is 0 (normal)

Bit1 - Speed stepping - default is 1 (128)"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to expand on the CV29 comments relating to Bit0 & Bit1. In English, this means that the only valid decimal values that can be written for CV29 are 0 or 1 or 2 or 3.

Decimal 0 = Bit0 = 0 & Bit1 = 0

Decimal 1 = Bit0 = 1 & Bit1 = 0

Decimal 2 = Bit0 = 0 & Bit1 = 1

Decimal 3 = Bit0 = 1 & Bit1 = 1

No idea, I don't use Hornby R8249 decoders and have never seen a R8215 version.

Try reading the decoders, if CV1, 3 & 4 return values then the decoder is most likely a R8249.

If the returned values are all 255 then the decoder might be a R8215. I use the term 'might be' on purpose, because any decoder will return 255 values if there is a poor connection between the decoder and the controller. Therefore 255 values are not 100% conclusive proof.

If say the first decoder you try reading returns expected values, but the next one you try reading returns all 255 values, then I would tend to trust that those 255 values are indeed indicating a R8215, as the first decoder returning actual values proves your decoder to Elite connection is sound and your reading technique is correct. This assumes that the decoder has been removed from the locos and is being directly connected to the Elite via the red and black decoder wires.

R8249 historical - raw data from my files... (Note there are decoder version and basic electronic firmware versions as shown). As you will see Hornby work at providing compatibility with other manufacturers' kit.

Decoder Version 1.3 (product launch) from approximately July 2008

Identification..

Large Blue dot on MCU chip.

Electronic..

Version 1.2

Firmware..

NMRA APPROVED

1, Interrogation supported

2, Long/short addressing

3, Deceleration/Acceleration

4, CV 29.. functions.. Default direction, DC/DCC mode disable enable (power conversion.)

5, CV 8 read back of manufacturers ID = 48

6, All Programming Modes supported.. i.e. Direct, Paged, Register.. Operate.

Issues, workarounds and fixes..

DC mode running minor bug.. Loco fails to change direction while running. If loco is brought to a halt, and then the direction is changed and the throttle reapplied, the loco will resume motion in the selected direction.

Decoder Version 1.31 from approximately October 2009

Identification..

Small blue dot on MCU chip. (The dot is smaller than the version above.. located in the corner of the MCU.)

Electronic..

Version 1.2

Firmware..

Fix.. Updated to “fix” DC control issue. The decoder now responds to a DC direction change while running.

NMRA APPROVED

2, Long/short addressing

4, CV 29.. functions.. Default direction, DC/DCC mode disable enable (power conversion.)

No Known Issues

Decoder Version 1.32 from July 2017

Identification..

Small blue dot on MCU chip. (The dot is smaller than the version above.. located in the corner of the MCU.) No Change from previous version.

Electronic..

Version 1.2

Firmware..

Fix.. No information..

NMRA APPROVED

2, Long/short addressing

When CV29=7 is applied the lighting “jams” i.e. does not change from continuous “red” for reverse even when the loco is going forward.... Whatever light (headlight/rear-light) actually illuminates could depend on the loco wiring.. we assume the wiring is correct in this observation according to the ESU decoder tester.

Decoder Version 1.33 from November 2017

Identification..

None

Electronic..

Version 1.2

Firmware..

Fix.. Improved readback compatibility with…

Roco Z21

ESU ECoS 5000

NCE PowerCab

Digitrax Zephyr DCS50

Lenz LH100/LZV100

Gauge-Master Prodigy Advance v2

All readback and programming operates ok.. notably, the Gauge-Master now reads back long addresses correctly. However, Gauge-Master readback system is slow and the controller screen does not keep in step with the stages of reading.. This can lead to user confusion. i.e. GM issue.

Corrected lighting operation in default reversed direction CV29=7 or 3

NMRA APPROVED

2, Long/short addressing

4, CV 8 read back of manufacturers ID = 48 (Hornby)

5, All Programming Modes supported.. i.e. Direct, Paged, Register, Operate.

No Known Issues

Mid 2019 onwards..

Introduction of two different connection presentations.. NEM651 (6 pin) joins the original NEM652 (8 pin) presentation

R8249: 8 Pin + flying wire. (headlight/rear lights, aux 1, aux2)

Decoder Version 1.34 from early 2019

Decoder Version 1.35 from Mid 2019

R8249. i.e. 8 and 6 pin connectors..

Identification..

None

Electronic..

Version 1.2

Firmware..

Fix: ESU LokProgrammer control.. front/rear light now works correctly at zero throttle setting. This issue appears to be unique to the LokProgrammer.

NMRA APPROVED

No Known Issues

This is the front page of the official R8215 leaflet.

forum_image_611ce483b02c3.thumb.png.54e0d013797ff242be17f33158543277.png