TTS Sound Decoder Class Numbers?

Stephen in Kerry

Can someone please advise me on the class numbers for Hornby TTS sound decoders.

If the decoder has the class 40 and the loco I want to buy is class 415, or 42, for example, will the sound be a close match?

Also, given the limited range of TTS sound decoders, is there a way to know if the decoder and the loco you need it for is a close enough match?

Thanks, Stephen

As you say, the current range of TTS decoders is rather limited, even for the range of locomotives that Hornby produce themselves.

Matching decoder sound with real life depends on how close you want it to be, both for steam and modern image models. For steam locos, for example, if you are not too concerned that the decoder is programmed with a LNER whistle rather than a SR sound, you perhaps only need to match the exhaust sound: a model of a two-cylinder locomotive with a TTS decoder for a four-cylinder loco (i.e. giving two or four 'chuffs' per revolution of the driving wheels) is not going to be right, but even that may not matter to you.

For diesels, the exhaust sound is different between almost any two loco classes and you will have to search outside Hornby to find sounds appropriate to multiple units (other than HSTs) and small shunters.

If you wish to have as close a match as possible, the internet is a great source of visual and audible information. Only you can decide how much of a compromise you are prepared to accept.

@Going Spare, thank you for the great advice but pardon my discombobulation, as I'm still not clear about how to start matching the decoder with the loco - and if that's done with the class number or not?

For example; my very first loco purchase (made yesterday) was the Hornby R3828 Train Pack 'BR (The Aberdonian) Tornado' - Class A1. I also bought a 'recommended' TTS chip (from Amazon) Hornby R8108 Tornado A1 class, so that should be a good match (if not perfect).

But for other purchases, I think I'll need to do more homework on the locos, as you suggest.

Yes, class number - steam, diesel or electric - is a good starting point, but even then there are minefields to negotiate in the cause of accuracy!

As an example, there are two class A1 loco types, one of Gresley design (later becoming class A3) so Hornby offer R8106 for both classes A1 and A3. The other A1 was designed later by Thompson (as per Tornado) and was also given class A1 because all the Gresley A1s had by then become class A3 - Hornby R8108 as you have purchased.

HSTs were re-engined during their lives so the livery will roughly date the model and therefore go some way to determine the decoder to fit (Valenta engine or MTU).

Conversely, if you are prepared to compromise a fair bit, in the absence of more accurate sounds the class J36 decoder, being for a small two-cylinder loco, would probably do for all similar locos regardless of their origins, probably both tank- and tender-engines.

@Stephen.........the class number refers to the loco not the decoder therefore if you buy a Class 08 diesel shunter then you would look for the TTS decoder for that model......similarly if you buy the Class A4 Mallard steam loco then you would select the TTS with that label.

The TTS Tornado decoder is the correct one for your Tornado loco as it was recorded from the real thing at Doncaster. The loco should have a socket and room for the speaker built into the tender. The Maintenance Sheet included with the loco will show you more.

A quick and dirty way of working out loco classes is if a Class is Alphabetic it is a steam loco (e.g A1, A4, F, H, J, etc), if it is Numeric then it is a diesel (e.g. 20, 37, 40, 43 (HST), 55 (Deltic), 66, etc). Once you get into higher three numbers then they are likely to be Electric Multiple Units- EMUs (e.g. 390 (Pendolino), 395, 800). Most classes of loco also have nicknames - another topic of discovery for you to pursue.

There are classifications to confuse you - like Class 90 which is electric loco not an EMU, DMUs which range Class 101 to 150, etc and dual mode MUs (e.g. diesel and electric, where the train can operate in either mode, not to be confused with diesel-electric where the diesel engine drives a generator to power the electric drive motors.

If all else fails look for the wiki for a particular class of loco and read all about the finer details, such as what it is, number of cylinders, etc.