Hornby 6 Pin Decoder for R3705 Rushton - 2 Function?

Stephen in Kerry

I've just bought the Hornby R3705 John Dewar Rushton and Hornsby shunter (as it's not unlike the one in my avatar). As I'm planning a DCC layout, I needed a decoder for it. I know it's a 6 pin, and so I ordered R7150, the Hornby standard 6 pin decoder. It's the only 6 pin in the current Hornby catalogue.

Then, I saw (on YouTube) someone fitting a DCC decoder to the same loco who said 'you have to use the 2 function 6 pin decoder, and not the 4 function' decoder. Now I'm really confused, because the description for R7150 is 'standard decoder, multi'.

Did I buy the wrong one, and if so, where can I find the right one, please? There is no mention of the 'function' in the catalogue, just ''6 pin connection'.

Thanks again in advance - I've made about 3 mistakes already since my first purchases yesterday!

The R7150 is the same decoder as the R8249, except it has a six pin plug rather than the usual eight pin plug.

Functions - more confusion for you to absorb

Functions outputs 1 and 2 of the decoder are used for directional lights if fitted to your loco. These are operated by function key F0 on your controller in conjunction with the selected direction.

Function outputs 3 and 4 of the decoder can be used to operate other things and are operated by function keys F1 and F2 respectively on your controller.

Other decoders can have as many as 10 function outputs. These outputs may be logic outputs (i.e. binary on-off) or full voltage at 0-12v according to setting.

Beware YT as you have to know a fair bit about the subject before you can tell if the YTuber is giving good advice or talking BS.

@rog and Rob - thanks again for coming to the rescue.

I have a master's degree in education and taught psychology at universities for 30 years. While I can spot a really bad YT 'teacher' a mile off, I'm never sure if some of what they say is worth noting.

In my career, I even tried spouting rubbish with confidence, and watched people write it down. :)

In my experience I find most YT model rail related videos are produced by people who are more driven to enjoy the actual video production process and seeing their 'names in the limelight' and watch their view count rising. They rarely actually have a deep understanding of the topic they are filming. Those who do know what they are talking about on the other hand just aren't interested in producing a YT. The combination of the two extremes where the YTuber also knows the subject as well as how to present it are unfortunately rare and few and far between.

I must admit I find it amazing that Hornby charge more for the 6 pin DCC decoders than the 8 pin ones. As 96RAF points out, they are generally the same decoder but with a different connector on the end. I must admit I use Zimo decoders as their 6 pin version is smaller than the Hornby one and they give you a wiring diagram so you can rewire it to be a 8 pin one if your space is limited and you want a really small decoder. This is the Hornby forum so I will say no more in case I upset someone.