OL Error with TTS Decoders

Shinkansen 1707822552

I would appreciate any views on a persistent issue I am having with Hornby TTS decoders. A brand new Lord Nelson class TTS locomotive is causing the Hornby Select controller to short with the ‘OL’ error every time it is placed on the track. It does not reset and reverts to the ‘OL’ error. It is the only locomotive on the layout. The seller kindly replaced the locomotive but I had the same issue with the replacement piece. So I replaced the sound decoder with another regular decoder I had and it worked! I subsequently ordered another TTS decoder thinking it may have been a problem with that batch but same issue - OL error message on the Select! Now even my regular decoder which worked previously is shorting. I am at my wits end having spent a substantial amount of money and time on this. Hornby has confirmed the firmware on my Select appears to be up to date.

The version of your Select is indicated by the first number shown on the screen at start-up. The latest version is 16 or 20 if it is a brand new model.

Have you tried turning on the Select before placing the loco on the track, just to check if there is a short in your trackage rather than in the loco............HB

Have you done a continuity check of your DCC socket. On most Hornby locos the bottom motor terminal is very close to the chassis. On one of my A4s it was actually touching, fortunately I did the check before I fitted any decoders, otherwise they would have immediately failed.