Teething problems already

Daistickman

Hello,

Really need your help. We've bought a load of new track, a new DCC digital controller and a new piece of power track to connect the digital controller to. When we put the train on it won't move. There's a whirring noise coming from the train..we've tried a few trains but it's the same problem every time. If I take the wires out of the digital controller and just touch them on the 15v the train will go around the track. It's almost as if there is t enough power going through to drive the train. I know the trains work, the track is brand new and so is the controller. I've only made a small oval of track so it can't be that. 

Anybody have any suggestions please. 

Everything you have described in your observations indicates as Howbi says that your locos do not have any DCC decoders fitted.

Locomotive boxes that say 'DCC Ready' on them means that the loco is a DC Analogue locomotive that is READY to be fitted with a decoder by way of a socket inside the loco. If you continue to let the loco buzz on the DCC powered track, you will burn out the motor. You must fit a decoder first before continuing.

If your locos are being used from a previous Analogue layout, then they will not have any DCC decoders fitted in them and, if older locos, may not have any DCC sockets in them either. In which case the conversion to DCC may or may not be within your skill set to perform yourself.

Note that the socket will be fitted with a small PCB plug in circuit board termed a 'Blanking Plate', to the untrained eye these PCBs can be misidentified as being a decoder. They are not a decoder, they are used to pass through the track current from the rails to the motor. These 'Blanking Plates' are removed and replaced with a decoder. The 'plates' should be stored safely should they need to be put back to test the loco or sell it on.