8 Pin decoder Purple wire loose

Stephen in Kerry

No its fine. The decoder has nine wires but only an eight pin plug so the fourth function purple wire is a flying lead to connect to whatever function you want it to operate, else tape it over to insulate against short.

Also insulate the decoder either by a single layer of sellotape or similar on the decoder or insulate the metal bits of the loco/tender with tape.

@96RAF Thanks Rob, I've now got it working on a short programming track (as explained by @Chrissaf). I cut away the compression capacitor, and it's working fine - as far as I can tell on such a short track.

I tried to isolate the decoder from the body, but my double-sided tape wouldn't stick. I'll try again with insulating tape. Hornby (apparently) say not to cover the decoder itself in tape as it can get too warm.

Another snag I've hit so far is that the tender won't couple to the loco. There is a long thin post attached to the loco, and the holes in the tender coupling are too wide for it. There doesn't seem to be a flat screw in the box.

forum_image_61378bf71b7a9.thumb.png.332b9afcd258d62107de07a9c0ef488d.png

Thanks @Going Spare. Considered that, but the drawbar won't stay up when the loco is stationary, and I'm struggling to see how to keep it from falling on the track.

Also, the post is grooved to take a mini flat-head screw driver, and it will unscrew, presumably to be replaced with another screw.

The instructions also show 2 similar screws on the loco and tender - the loco one is there, the tender has the post. Very puzzling.

Edit: Following sight of further i formation none of the following applies but it is left for i formation of others who may have these types of coupling.

Sounds to me like the loco and tender do not match.

This is the post and clamp arrangement. The tender has a post and the loco drawbar has a clamp and springy fingers thing to pass current.

forum_image_6137b389c226a.png.d1dd11b238fd08c4c4f9a4bb42b967a1.png

The other non powered drawbar is attached to the tender usually by a screw but can be built in and to the loco by a screw. Power is passed by way of a 4-wire plug (loco) and socket (tender).

forum_image_6137b38b5ffbc.thumb.png.f0d1635506effd9734f055ebccd02b07.png

Service Sheet 366C appears to cover your loco. This shows the plastic drawbar screwed to the tender but no corresponding screw at the loco end, hence my earlier post. Have you tried releasing the tender screw to see whether it can hold the drawbar more tightly in position? The loco probably comes with a detailing pack in a small plastic bag secreted somewhere in the packaging: this might just include a screw. If you can't resolve the problem, I would suggest you seek advice from Customer Services.

Thanks for the help (again) everyone. @96RAF, Rob I don't think the springy fingers things apply here, as there doesn't seem to be an electrical connection between loco and tender.

This is the 'close coupling' section from the sheet that came with it. They definitely seem to be flat head screws - and there is only one (which was on the loco). The post in your drawing was on the tender, but there is no way that it will hold the drawbar.

I'm tempted to find a replacement screw but I can hear the groans of abject horror even now!

forum_image_6137d3d568af4.thumb.png.723102073e4656334e61d7235b54ba45.png