Elite Repair

james_nelmes

So first apologies for posting on an old thread.

I bought a very cheap not working Elite off Ebay for the curiosity of trying to fix it myself. As per previous post it is dead, but nothing burnt and very low resistance across the 15v input (2.2 ohms but interestingly 0.6 ohms across each leg of the choke. I am following the theory that the L6 (see Elite Teardown) choke has failed short circuit. As was observed, chokes don't fail short circuit as they are continuous, but in this case it is an 8 pin common mode choke, where both +ve and -ve input enter and exit separately, but are wound on a common core. What happens is over time the insulation breaks down on the windings and they go from infinite resistance to low resistance.

That's my theory for this repair. I could not get the recommended part as farnell are out of stock but I have got the 200 ohm impedance part with the same footprint. The footprint is much bigger than the old component but my measurements suggest it will fit on the pads provided as they are very large. As bridging the contacts with a wire would suffice, the part I have bought seems reasonable.

I will post any update to this thread when I get the bits and start.

Regards

James