Hornby Dublo going up for auction

ace2507

Problem with that article is there's so many pop-ups, infill adverts and generally things I've no intention of knowing anything about I only skimmed through half of it, then spat my dummy out and closed the article - hate newspaper websites!!

Ad blockers? Perhaps, but hard to know what's genuine these days.

What I saw looked a pretty nice collection, but would have liked to have seen a collection of photos indicating the extent of the collection.

Al.

This is not so surprising. If you take a modern Hornby loco at £200, a lot of people have in excess of a hundred locos, so that is £20,000. A lot of the public just don't realise how much this stuff costs. If you were to buy a new Hornby Dublo City of Leicester loco, add a decent sound decoder and we are talking £400. Even at half price that is £200.

To quote a couple of selected parts of the text ... 130 locomotives and thousands of rolling stock!!

Only found after his unfortunate passing last year - was this hidden in a lock-up? !!

How do you not see that much model railway gear?

It seems to be 'the other type of collector' who simply does that, and never actually runs them, which to me is an absolute shame and pity - like buying a Ferrari and never even firing her up!

Fascinating and it takes all sorts, and if that really was the extent of the collection, it almost sounds like a bargain!

Al.

It's not always possible to run everything you own. If you like for example steam engines, you may buy a model of something you have seen, travelled behind etc. Reading this thread, made me check my stock of locomotives - I currently have one hundred and twenty three. Twelve are currently on the layout. Very many of these loco's will probably not/never see the light of day. As my layout is an end-to-end, it's not possible to have train(s) running constantly - even with a twenty seven foot run, it does not take long to go from one end to the other.

I know that there are members of this forum who have far more loco's than I, but like me, saw something they liked and bought it - the numbers then start to mount up.