Track not lining up ?

Kevin Hodges

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2nd Scalextric set and some extra R1 curves, a Pit Lane etc to put together my new, larger layout.

I've entered it all into my design software and it all fits together great, but the final track piece (where it meets the first), don't line up. They seem to be out by a 1/2" or so in the vertical and slightly overlapping. Not a lot, but a concern.

Will this be an issue with the actual track or can these design apps/programs have an element of screen distortion ? I can't see anywhere in my proposed layout where there could be an issue. And if there is, how on earth does one go about hunting it down and what pieces need replacing or leaving out ?

I don't know yet as I'm still waiting on a few pieces of track to arrive.

Kev.

Yep.. par for the course I am afraid.

That is why I have over a dozen 78mm and 87mm straights on hand as well as 22.5° R1s as sometimes the track will be off by 1/2" left or right.

Why this is I have no idea. I can only think that manufacturing tolerances cause it where 1 mm here and 2 mm there make things all wonky.

When I do events I try to take exact measurements of the space I have available.

I plan the track in software but then I place masking tape on the floor in the exact size and shape of the actual space (actually I take off 1 inch [2.54cm] from all sides i.e. 2" of length and 2" of width) and test the layout will work.

This also allows me to put in decorations etc. in and get an idea where the driver(s) will be standing.

The floor layout and online layout never match...

I still take spare track with me particularly to replace digital parts in case something goes wrong...

I'm limited for space too, but managed to fit 9'.2" x 4' ft in my shed.

I was hoping to go a little larger, but that is it.

I found a layout on You Tube I copied that uses all the space available and turns back on itself (if that makes sense).

Hopefully the last few pieces of track I need will turn up this week.

Fingers crossed it all fits and lines up.

Cheers

Kev.

• 1 month later...
"Yep.. par for the course I am afraid.
That is why I have over a dozen 78mm and 87mm straights on hand as well as 22.5° R1s as sometimes the track will be off by 1/2" left or right."

What if you are using R2 curves. Can the 22.5 R2 help with alignment.
Or can the 22.5 R1 be used with R2 as well.

"Hi Phil,

I am not tooo terribly sure what your question exactly is.

Essentially any combination is possible but you are always limited by space..."

Sorry if I was unclear. My question is the alignment of tracks that I create.

As is the subject of this post.

If there is a 1/2", or so miss alignment as you mention.

Can a 22.5 R1 curve help with this issue. Even if I am only using R2 curves.