Checking for Faulty Points

Stephen in Kerry

Stephen we certainly do not have a problem with a new thread being raised for your 'test'

We have far more problems when someone raises a thread that is about 10 years old, expecting the originator (OP) of that thread to come back with a response, especially when a lot of (too many) times someone raises a question, other members put together a very comprehensive reply, only for the OP never to be seen again!

I don't have any experience myself of points short circuiting but I would say that the test you are suggesting should be adequate. Moderator Chrissaf will be better to advise.

Stephen.

If you navigate to the 'General Discussion' forum, then open the 'General Discussion FAQ Index' sticky thread near the top of the page, then choose FAQ number 4. Then you will find a detailed description of this point fault and how to test the point for the presence or not of the fault. Your method is a touch convulated, but a suitable alternative if you do not have access to a recommended multimeter.

If you do use your Select controller for testing and rely on the Select tripping to indicate a fault, then that will only work when using a short test track if the controller is connected on the correct side of the point (see schematics in the recommended FAQ 4 link). The Select may not see the short circuit if connected to the toe end of the point as described in the FAQ 4 thread.

If using the 1-amp PSU with the Select it will brown out on overload. This is indicated by the PSU dropping output voltage and the Select continually rebooting, clearly visible on screen by the rolling numbers.

A more aggressive dead short will likely invoke the EO trip, noting the latest firmware gives ES which kills a loco but leaves the track live or EO which kills all track power.

The 4-amp relies upon the Select to look after its own self protection, so you will not see the brown out screen Stephen, only the ES or EO according to type of problem.

As likely well explained in Chris’ FAQs the DCC voltage is measured on the AC volts scale and continuity on the Ohms (Ω) scale, one of which may have a buzzer according to which meter you buy.

How to decide if you should start a new thread?

For me it’s simple. A thread should have as its title a short summary of the question you would like answered. Consequently, if you have a new question, raise a new thread with a new title.

Using this measure Stephen, you were right to raise a new topic. Your first topic said I’m getting overload problems on my layout, what might be causing it? Answer - you have faulty points.

This topic asks - how do I test points to see if they are faulty? Answer - your substitution suggestion on a test track will work, but better is to use Chris’s FAQ answer using a multimeter.

Different question, different answer, new thread appropriate.