Coaches for Terrier

M. Matthews

Hi All

Just a quick one...

I bought a set of the Southern 6 wheel coaches and was later gifted a terrier. The only problem is that the Terrier is 'Brighton' which is in what I understand to be called "Improved green" livery or something of the sort.

I'll be exhibiting a small layout with my local MRC in the coming months. Would I be able to get away with running these together or are they different era's / area's etc?

I'm a modern image modeller and don't really have a clue.

Thanks

I probably should have been a bit clearer joy.

Whilst the layout is not too speficic in era or area, steam is preferred, it's the club's layout and exhibiting members are bringing their own stock. A couple of members are a little fussy over prototypical trains.

The stock on my personal layout is an absolute mash up!

Well, "Brighton" itself wasn't in Improved Engine Green at the time that Southern Railway coaches were painted lined olive, like those 6-wheelers, it was definitely in SR (or IoW anyway) colours.

BUT one of the terriers ("Brighton Works") did spend most of its life in "Improved Engine Green" as you can read here:

Reviving Stroudley’s ‘Improved Engine Green’ for a new Collector Club exclusive model. (hornby.com)

And it says it was that colour in 1947, the last year of Southern Railway (before BR turned it into Southern Region) *that* Terrier was in IEG and could potentially have pulled Southern Railway livery carriages. Although (i) by that time I suspect that most SR carriages would have been malachite (or at least not the pretty lined-olive of the 6 wheelers) and (ii) it wasn't being used for passenger services.

So, if you squint and say "they haven't finished painting the word "Works" on the side" and "these 6 wheelers are leftovers that never got repainted under Bulleid" you could chance it...

• 7 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd just add to this one.

Would any of these coaches have survived in olive green into early br days? And would it be appropriate to have them hauled by a br black loco?

Again, this is for exhibition purposes so unfortunately rule 1 does not apply.

Many Thanks

I think the answer will be negative, The Bluebell Railway has an ex-SECR vehicle which obviously survived through the BR period but only in departmental use at a sleeper depot. There is an internet reference to LCDR 6-wheelers having mostly been withdrawn by the late 1930s.

A quick trawl of the internet seems to suggest most four wheelers in the Southern area seem to have been converted into Holiday bungalows by the 1930s so highly unlikely. However you might get away with it behind a terrier.

A lot of the independent and Colonel Stephen’s railways bought or hired terriers, some of which ended up back with the SR and I also believe GWR and BR but I’d have to check on that. They also often used 4 wheel coaches bought second hand or hired from the major companies long after the original owners had stopped using them. Have a look online or try and find British Independent Light Railways by John Scott-Morgan or The Colonel Stephen’s Railways by the same author. Just had a quick look at the latter book, try searching for pictures of the Rother Valley Railway, later the Kent and East Sussex Railway for a start.

I have a good collection of SR Railway books, in which there are a number of pictures of Terriers operating in the south. Usually pulling either two or three Mk1 coaches or Maunsell coaches. I suppose it depends on where abouts your layout is supposed to represent.

The "Improved Engine Green", or IEG, livery (18xx) pre dates the Southern Railway (from 1923) by a long time.

The LB&SCR used IEG under the engineer William Stroudley.

The engineer Marsh changed the livery to a brown, Umber, colour.

The SR came even later.

So, unless it's a "preserved" locomotive and coaches, the combination is very likely.

If the loco is indeed "Brighton", and not actually "Brighton Works" that is...

Terriers in IEG, but named "Brighton Works", were used as works shunters at Brighton Works into British Railways days.