Use cross over with DCC

Out Of Puff1707822593

Yes.

Are we talking back to back points from loop to loop or a diamond crossing which takes one line across another line.

When using Hornby points with DCC it is necessary to install R8232 point clips -staple like things which ensure power is passed to all track beyond the point.

By electrical problems do you mean shorts as there is documented history of faulty points recently causing shorts. Hornby will replace these if at fault. See other posts for more information about these points.

Test your new points purchase just to be sure that they are not from a faulty manufacturing batch. How to test them is documented in FAQ 4 located in the 'General Discussion FAQ Index' sticky thread.

The Hornby Diamond crossing should work without any form of modification on both DC and DCC control. It does not need or use R8232 DCC point clips.

As well as cleaning the loco wheels (in addition to the rail surface and all the other wheels, which will deposit dirt back on to the rail surface if left dirty) make sure the wheel pick-up wipers are clean and making good contact with the wheels at all times even when the wheels move sideways. `

On my original DCC layout I had a diamond crossover. Most locos would traverse it but not my Hornby tender drive 9F. Investigation showed that the pick up wheel centre on the tender were exactly spaced at the same distance apart as the two isolated frogs. The tender drive 9F has pickups on the left side of the loco and returns on the right side of the tender. There are no pickups on the right side of the loco and the left side of the tender has traction tyres.

So what to do. I resolved this by soldering a wire to the right hand valve gear, which is joined to all 5 drive wheels via the con rods. This wire I ran directly to the tender and soldered it to the right side pickup directly. This cured the problem and the 9F traversed the diamond crossover. On my new layout I don't use diamond crossovers but now with the CD motor conversion it runs like a dream.

If you are relying on a single power feed to the outer loop I would suggest a second power feed to the inner loop just to ensure a more reliable supply to all four sides of the crossover.(observing matched polarity).....HB

Thanks - this may be a daft question, but what's the easiest way to do that? I have a hornby dcc track link wire connecting the loops but it's difficult to know how effective it is. Having said that my voltage tester never seems to show any problems. I have a Hornby Select controller with the power track on the outer ring.

If you are relying on a single power feed to the outer loop I would suggest a second power feed to the inner loop just to ensure a more reliable supply to all four sides of the crossover.(observing matched polarity).....HB
... but what's the easiest way to do that? I have a hornby dcc track link wire connecting the loops but it's difficult to know how effective it is. Having said that my voltage tester never seems to show any problems. I have a Hornby Select controller with the power track on the outer ring.

You have answered your own question. The Select feeds the outer loop and the link wire takes this onto the inner loop.