Loose vac pipe update, removal of excess superglue

The flying brit

Hi guys,

back again with a new problem. You might remember yesterday that I was asking for help to reattach a loose vac pipe to the front of my Adams radial loco, well the good news I managed to glue it back down. The bad news is that I accidentally used too much superglue, I need to find some way of removing the excess glue.Unfortunately it’s dried now and the position where the vac pipe is is between the lamp iron detail part and the vac pipe. In short there’s almost no room to get a piece of sandpaper or anything in between the gap without breaking more detail parts. The only thing I can fit in between them is a small toothpick or screwdriver for fixing glasses with. Or I was thinking maybe I could use a paper clip as dropper and use something like paint thinner or lighter fluid to dissolve the excess glue. But I need something that won’t also destroy the plastic of my locos body shell, I don’t know what to use.

I need to find some way of either filing off the excess glue of dissolving it without the vac pipe coming off.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this as the excess glue sticks out like a sore thumb.

If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The description text in this product says compatible with Plastics.

Everbuild DEBONDER-EBD Stick 2 Superglue De-bonder, Clear, 20 ml

Label says suitable for clearing excess cured SuperGlue.

forum_image_61780b340e2fc.png.d88dfddf7ac869bf19c7a36bec43abbc.png

Test reaction [if any] on a location that doesn't show. It may not attack Plastics, but what about paint??? - this product was found on a Google search - I have never used it.

Hi Chrissaf,

I looked on eBay.com and I found the stuff there, problem is though I don’t have a credit card. So it’s a little difficult for me to get it unless I ask my brother in England to order some for me and send it out here.

I looked on Amazon japan, as that would be easy for me to order it through ie just go to the local 7/11 convenience store and pay using my a money order from Japanese bank account. Unfortunately I can’t find it on Amazon japan.

Any other ideas what I could did to get rid of the excess glue if my brother can’t buy some of this stuff from ebay and send it out to me in Tokyo.

Thanks.

@The Flying Brit

I can't believe that finding superglue remover in Tokyo would be difficult, even with their use of 'decorative English' to confuse things...

Here is the link to the IMON model train stores of which two are in Tokyo. They look like fantastic shops and should have all your hobby needs there, probably including glue remover. They might also be able to get Hornby for you as they list Arnold on their website.

Careful though. If I went in I might well bin all my existing OO and come out with one of their HOj C57 Pacifics...........

Hi

For future use consider the following actions when using Super glue or using contact adhesive etc.

Take a piece of scrap paper and apply a drop of the super glue or other glue onto it, to form a small puddle of glue. Gently dip the end of the item to be fixed or its fixing places into the puddle and if too much glue is seen, wipe the items surplus glued surface on an unused portion of the paper. Then and only then fit the component into place and hold secure until the glue has set. joy