Class 156 to DCC

Potrail2378

Hi, I have just bought a Hornby class 156 2 car DMU, R2694. It is DCC ready, but there is no electrical connection between the two cars. I intend to put directional lights in both units, and I'm quite aware that I will need two decoders.

My questions are

1 - is there a part number for a bogey for the non-powered unit. I just want to swap the bogey without fiddling around fitting wipers, etc.

2 - is there a little circuit board with the lights already mounted on it so I can just 'plug and play'?

Thanks in advance 👍

Express Models do Class 156 lighting kits. I found one on the site for a Lima Class 156, don't know how compatible with Hornby models this would be. I suggest a phone call to Express Models to enquire would be the best action plan.

expressmodels.co.uk

I suspect that nobody does anything that is so 'plug n play' that no modelling fitting skills are required. Most models that are not factory fitted with lights need holes drilled in the body at the very least.

Q1 - pull service sheet 303 which illustrates the dummy bogie in the motor chassis and lists the dummy bogie for the trailing car as a different part number. Hopefully by comparison of one with the other on the model you may be able to determine if the difference is simply the pickup wipers in which case your problem may be solved by fitting a spare motor chassis bogie to the trailing car. I would only use one as fitting two whilst giving better pickup reliability may be too draggy for the lightweight motor chassis to cope with.

Q2 - Black Kat Technology do lighting kits also but not for the 156. They do however do separate lighting boards for use where modelling skills can be employed. See here:

LED Lighting Boards, great for head and tail lights and building lighting, pk 4 | eBay