Lack of activity on this forum

Brightstar

Hi All Live Steam Lovers,

Hornby will be thinking that interest in Live Steam has disappeared.

We need to be more active, tell other users how your layout are progressing, what you woud like to see in the Live Steam range, what locos you

have and any problems that have occured or are occuring and how you have solved tham.

I will start!

I now have four LS locos, 3 off A4s and a double tender A3, I also have four transformers & controllers, one for each loco.

I am in the

planning stage of building a modular garden layout that will give me a total run of about between 180 and 200 feet. It will consist of a double track with isolated passing loops, a storage yard for coaches and a Locomotive Depot with a turntable and engine

sheds. Each track in the storage yard will be isolated, so that only one engine will be running on each track at the same time and the Locomotive Depot will also isolated and run with it's own contoller. Each of the double tracks will have it's own controller.

There will be isolated sections joining the two tracks, so that a train can be moved on to the isolated section, power removed from it and power from the other track applied to it.

The track for Locos from the Locomotive Depot will also be joined to

the inner track by an isolated section of track, to allow for the tranfer of power from the Locomotve Depot Controller to the inner track contoller.

The baseboards will made of marine plywood and will be 12" x 4' each. The boards will be supported by

50mm x 25mm treated timber laid on 1 mtr x 300mm x 75mm paving edging slabs.

The connection of Power, signalling and point control wiring will be made by 6 way XLR connectors connecting each board to it's neighbour. 32 strand x 0.20mm2 equipment wire

will be used for the power bus and dropper wires, these will embedded into an inner grove on the supporting timber, Lighter guage wire will be used for signalling and points. Each board will be attached/bolted to it' neighbouring boards. There will be no physical

connection between the track on one board to annother board as power will be carried by the power bus aand droppers. Bolting the sections together will ensure that each section of track align with each other with minimal gaps, i.e almost touching. Power will

pass down onside of the boards and signalling and point control on the other, but additional point wires can travel down the power side. This will give me a total of 12 wires 6 in each XLR connector.

Buildings and will be removable/portable so that

they can be removed for storage. Scenery will br minimal on th boards, but they will be supplemented with miniture shrubs.

The baseboards and buildings will be stored in an alarmed garden shed. The locomotivs and coaches and wagons will be stored in

my loft or on a siding in my proposed new layout in one of my bedrooms.

I am on the lookout for more LS locomotives, at a reasonable price. I purchased 2 A4s and the A3 last year and the 3rd A4 recently

It would be very nice if Hornby could recommence

production of Live Steam Locomotives and perhab widen the variety of locos they make, to encourage railway modellers to take up and operate the system.

How about describing your layout or proposals?

I eep posting the same reply what a prat.

Me not much of a typist but My dad and his dad worked for the LNER so for hornby to pick the fastest steam engine is good so I have some 10 or 12 loco's and 3 controlers one I nackered by running none steam

type loco's with it takes out the power FET transistors which you can buy from RS.

A very small lay out about 6ft x 8ft so lots of skill in driving or you come off the track I have 2 malards 4 F--/Scot 1 Silver L-- 1 Dwight 1 golder/F--- 1 Schools?

1 West/C----? myu dad alway siad the Southern could never run a railway he will turn in his grave if he say my with SR engines but as the ilfracombe line went by here i thought that the SR did have some nice little engines. well cant add much more could write

pages on HLS and things to look out for and valve timing but ive still got the washing up to do and the wifes looking very humppy at the moment. happy steaming

The reason that not many people post about live steam is because most people don't have any livesteam locomotves because the locomotves and controllers are very exspensive. It is also very complicated and beaks eaisly, more easily than other locomotives

so that puts people of.

So, alot of people don't actually have live steam locmotives and because of this they are limited to what they know about it and that's why they don't post anything on hear.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Live stesam is not complicated to drive, it just needs practice, on a rolling road or a simulated rolling road, until you get the hang of controlling it. Do this before you put it on the track and you will enjoy the experience and the

smell of real live steam.

Cost is a problem and I think Hornby got it wrong at the start, but as prices came down they started to sell. The problem now is that there is a cronic shortage of product and prices have risen to un-realistic levels.

With

regards to the locos being easily broken, I think you will find if you run your DC/DCC locos flat out without coaches and it comes off the track and ends up on the floor after a drop of 2+ feet, they would also break. I think nearly every newcomer to Live

Steam has ended up with the loco falling to the floor. As Adrian C has said, no one selling a loco on Ebay is going to tell you that it ended up dropping to the floor on it's first and probably only run.

If you can get one and follow the rules for running

it in, you will enjoy the experience.

Hi poliss,

The trouble as I see it is if we only post on dedicated forums, then Hornby will not know there is demand for the product out in the market place and will never re-start production.

We have to use this forum, if we want to get

the message over to Hornby Management, thst there is demand for the product.

I have been considering buying some Hornby Shares, to put into my SIPP. Then I can attennd the next AGM and ask the Managing Director, when and if production of Live Steam

is going to re-start.

Jacob was complaining about the price of Live Steam, but have you noticed the latest prices for coaches. For the price of 4 of the latest coaches, I bought my last Live Steam A4.

Pity, they did not have any more or I would

have bought them.

If what you say about Hornby management not reading

these forums is possibly true, but I expect that they get feedback on the content, to help them plan future products, otherwise, what is the purpose of the wishlist forum!

Why have the expense of supporting a user forum, if you are going to ignor the

contents of the vsarious threads. The forum is used as a way of finding out what owners of Hornby products want, a research tool!

On the front page of these forums you will see "Please complete a comment form to let us know what you would like to see in the range. This is the only way to suggest new products. All ideas are read by the Hornby marketing team."

The wishlist section

of the forum was created because wishlists were clogging up the general discussion section. The admin has made it quite clear on several occasions that the Hornby management do not read the wishlists on the forums.

The manual that comes with live steam is not very good, nor are the videos on YouTube. The locos are not hard to control, but you need to practice on a rolling road or a mock rolling road (place the tender on the power track and

prop up the front or the loco on a match box so that the drive wheels are free to rotate). Practice until you learn the technique of starting slowly, increasing speed gradually and then slowing down the loco and coming to a halt. When you are confident that

you can control the loco then put in on the track.

What usually happens when a newbe buys a live steam loco is that they put it straight on the track and follow the instructions in the manual. They over do control of the throttle and because there is

a delay before the loco moves off, as with a prototype engine. They then add more throttle, thinking this is what is needed. The loco then moves off at full speed (every flick of the throttle increases the amount of steam released into pistons) and comes off

at the first bend and if as I suspect, this trial has been carried out on the dining room or kitchen table then the loco ends up on the floor. They try again with similar results, pack up the loco in it's box, store it away until in the end they sell it on

Ebay with the comment that it has only been run once or twice, with no mention of the results. Even if the the track is laid on the floor, the loco comes off at such a speed, that this is not a gentle de-railment.

If you buy a live steam loco or a set,

practice on a rolling road or the alternative offered above before you try a live run on track. Also be aware that buying a secondhand loco or set that has "only been run once or twice", that it may be damaged in some way due to de-railment by an inexperienced

user.

Driving a Live Steam loco properly, is an experience you will want to repeat time and time again. You drive the train and it responds to your skill in driving it. You have to allow for delays in response to the throttle and plan ahead where you

want the loco to stop. There is no emergency stop brake, it is all in your hands.

Join the band of dedicated Live Steam Railway Modellers and enjoy the experience.

Sorry Brightstar, I understand your love for the Live Steam locos, but I don't want to fill my house with the smell of steam. I can run my trains for a few minutes any time, no preparation required. I have a Mamod traction engine that I run outside, or

drive a real steam engine when I can.

Well the forum seems to have kicked off and quite lively again. Lots of LS activity still happening and this is a good long string.
But why have Hornby changed the forum? Doesn't seem as user friendly as the last one.
I've been busy making videos,

if anyone cares to look at them please search Jan03696 in Youtube.

Welcome back everyone!

Well, I have a number of posts in the live steam forum here at Hornby, and I have a great deal of very friendly help from other posters in the forum. There is a dedicated band of Hornby live steam people out there. I think we all say the same thing. Live

Steam is fun to run, and it is an enormous shame that Hornby discontinued it efforts in this direction. I have found the locos to be quite robust, although I have a used Dwight D. Eisenhower that I am in the process of repairing. I have no doubt I can repair

it and bring it back to useful life. I have never run a live steamer through a drop to the floor. I shudder to think of the consequences of that. The biggest issue right now is the availability of spares. Some of them are still lying around in model shops,

but the real nitty gritty parts are harder to obtain. I have posted about my needs elsewhere in here.
It is a shame about the prices for the remaining live steam locos. There are quite a few "never run and new" ones out there going for high prices that

are only good for those people who want to collect for a profit. This shuts out those of use who really enjoy these locomotives and run them all the time. However, the used ones sell for much less and I believe they can be repaired, and lead a useful and fun

life.

Hi gowest
So what your saying is that my locos are running on steam, it's just being created at a power station.
I think Hornby Live Steam is fantastic, I've seen it, used it and hope they start producing it again. It's just not for me, like electric

is not for you.
Do you think Hornby will ever do live diesel?
Hope you enjoy your layout as much as I enjoy mine.
GWR King would be great.
I wonder why your entry says 'walkingthedog said:' then has what you said?

Archived