Weathering Rolling Stock

Brew Man

You could start with weathering powders rather than paint. Powders are applied with a stiff brush, they can be easily washed off if unhappy with results. Once happy, you fix the powders with 'rattle can' matt lacquer.

Chrissaf's suggestion is eminently sensible. As a mean old man I used ground up artists pastels as weathering powder - cheap as chips and capable of delivering an almost infinite range of colours. One of my favourite mediums is a box of soot scraped off the side of an abandoned Midland Railway tunnel - not just a realistic colour but a realistic smell as well.

Mine came from a tunnel south of Millers Dale for Tideswell station on the abandoned Midland main line through the Peak District (now a footpath/cyle trail). Doesnt have to be Midland Railway although their small engine policy meant that locos were worked hard, leaving a generous coating of soot!

@Brew Man

I've just started weathering - something I have been planning on doing for some time.

I have been brushing on washes of Tamiya acrylic and dry brushing Humbrol enamels. I have had great inspiration from both The Scrap Line and Dans Custom Trains on Youtube. There is no right or wrong way to do this, just something that suits you. If you are comfortable with an airbrush then use one. I may get round to late also. The graffiti below was done with both a fine brush and enamels and Sharpie pens. These wagons are not finished and are testbeds before I start on my decent models.

forum_image_6195055a8a8e9.thumb.png.7b4f173c876d34a159556aceb289f120.png

forum_image_619505610582e.thumb.png.d02f7b5f3851849efa406642af5c4c9c.png

My starting point when weathering is a very quick spray (from about a foot away) aimed at the chassis, using Humbrol Matt 29 Dark Earth from a spray can. I think this gives a good general grimy appearance.

After that, a very diluted wash using a paint brush with acrylics such as black, dark grey, rusty red-brown and dark brown - all applied unevenly to different areas. Practise on an old mineral wagon (both wooden 7 plankers and steel). If the paint is not diluted enough and comes out too strong, quickly dip the brush in water and dilute the colour or move it around (or sponge it off if you really have gone too far).