Couplings for the new coaches etc

sagaguy

• 2 weeks later...

Another coupling question.I have a couple of rakes of the new Hornby SR Bulleid and Mk.1 coaches.I want to replace the couplings with the wider NEM couplings.The couplings i have at the moment are R8268 but the tounges are slightly too wide to slide into the pockets of the SR Bulleid set.The existing couplings are X9289.I thought NEM pockets were standard but apparently not.Can anyone suggest which wider couplings will fit the newer stock?.

Ray.

I know it is not the answer you wanted, but thank you for clarifying that NEM couplings seem to vary in size. I have tried fitting Bachmann NEM tails into Hornby locos tenders and as you say they are too big. I did buy a pack from the firm that makes Hunt couplings but I have found they vary a lot, coupled with the added issue that they look like they were 3D printed and not so flexible around the pivot point. Hornby have been out of them for ages.

I either have them where they don't fit or they just drop out. I was even thinking of putting a long thin screw through, but I can't bring myself to damage a tender. Not that I am going to buy one but that is the worry with the HST on the program, my Bachmann EMU has those special coach connectors and they are always falling out of the slot. On my Oxford rail MkIII coaches the only way I could get them to stay in was to glue the end of the spring. The old Hornby couplings are really ugly but in my case they seem to be the most reliable.

I thought nothing ventured, nothing gained so i took a swiss file to the tongue and narrowed it slightly,it now fits but you shouldn`t have to do this,they are either standard or they are not,in this case they are not.I run these coaches on my vintage Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout where the wider couplings are an advantage.

Ray

I have heard that phrase so often. If it is any consolation, I bought the Hornby Dublo City of Leicester because I liked the look of it. When I came to fit sound, Production had fed all the wires through the hole where the speaker goes. Fortunately I had just bought a pre wired 8 pin socket off Lendons as I am always converting locos to DCC, so I had to rewire it to get the speaker to fit. There is not a lot of room under the coal bunker on those models, so you generally have to fit the speaker in the defined place, even though it was a Road and Rails one.