Pullman problem

Hi guys,

Just got into this awesome hobby and got my first set a few weeks ago and it was the Flying Scotsman analogue starter set and it did it for me till I went and added to the track layout with the B and C expansion set and then got another steam

and a electric loco with some basic rolling stock. It was all going well till I saw a Pullman coach on Youtube and finally convinced my wife I needed them and went and got 3 of them in full detail and the lamps in them.

The problem started when I hooked

them up to my flying scotsman and the lights came on for a sec and everything froze on the track. Then had to power-cycle the controller and same thing happened. Then hooked them up with my Class 90 electric and same as well as with my BR 9F steam loco. One

thing I noticed is that it worked with 1 pullman coach on any loco.

I know I am doing something wrong and its something to do with my basic controller I got with my starter set. So do I need to get one of the digital controllers from Hornby and if so which

one?

Just hope I have not wrecked any of my locos in the process.

Thanks guys and sorry about the long speech.

Hi

It reads as though your dc controllers internal over-load cutout is operating with the load of the loco plus the three lit carriages.

If by removing the carriages and just running the loco it runs ok, then everything is ok with the loco.

You

could consider upgrading the dc controller. The Hornby HM2000 controller is a good buy as too are some from other manufactures which were not permitted to refer to on this forum.

If you go DCC you will need to not only obtain a DCC console, but also

suitable decoders for each loco and fit them yourself or take the locos to a model shop and pay for them to be fitted.

The good news is that Pullman carriages will work on either system - dc or DCC without any alterations

Hi HappyTriangman,

I think I've got the right thing. There is a simple solution I think, if your running on DC, the lights may flicker a bit when they are still, as there may be a few buzzes of power going through the tracks. Once you start running

the Train, do the lights work then?

On DCC You won't usually get the problem, as the carriages will be lit constantly. I reccomend going DCC if you can, not just for the Pullmans but it's cheaper in the Long run, and means alot less wiring when It comes

to that stage!

Hope this helps,

Jacob

The lights are overloading the controller. You will need the HM2000 at least to avoid this.

Even if you go DCC I would say you'd need the 4 amp power supply that comes with the Elite or have to buy as an upgrade for the Select.

Hi poliss,

What do you mean by Overloading the controller. I use my Pullmans which light up on a Standard DC Controller, one of the older style black ones and also have used the Select on them, but they did not over load it. Thanks

Sorry if this

seems like I'm Hijacking the Thread Happy Triangman, but I'm a bit confused too here!

Jacob

The older R965 was more powerful than the new R8250 train set controller Jacob.

At least one person has had problems with Tri-ang locos tripping the HM2000 and has converted R965s to be more powerful. He is, of course, experienced in electrical work

and such conversions should not be attempted by the average person, such as me. :-)

Thanks for all the info guys......so basically end of the day my powersupply is not beefy enough to handle the load...is that right? so if I go out and get the Elite will that solve the tripping problem??...I know it will cost a bit to convert all my locos

but will be worth it to see my Pullmans lit up...!

I went DCC with a Hornby Elite several years ago now, more recently in conjunction with RailMaster control. I have loads of Hornby Pullman coaches with lights and they were always perfectly OK with my old DC GM Duette controller. I don't think you necessarily

have to convert to DCC, although it is generally a much superior system for running a model railway.

Thanks for the Explanation poliss, that explains it. I wonder why Hornby did not make the newer ones powerful as well, although they are only for starter sets.

If it's not already been posted, yes, from the explanation poliss posted, I think it is

the power problem Trainman! I recommend upgrading to the elite, if you need help converting locos your local model shop will probably help. It will be worth it, but not just to see your Pullmans lit up but for another benefit as well. It would mean less wiring

for you to do on your layout, and easier point control as well!

Jacob

• 11 years later...

Hi

not sure if my problem is related to above topic as I have just started this hobby

I purchased the tt120 Flying Scotsman Set

The loco was run in with no problems but when I attached the Pullman carriages nothing moved

After fiddling around it runs ok with 2 carriages but when i added “Chloria” the problem arose

I believe this is due to a short in this carriage as power to light the lamps comes from the track wheels

Hi Stewart- Welcome to the forum. I expect its the same problem as the Original Poster. Do the lights work when the coach is on the track but the scotsman isn't? If so, the problem is as the OP, the controller isn't powerful enough. If they don't except without Chloria in the train there may be something wrong with her. I would check that first and report back. If the first is true, a HM2000 is a good powerful controller to upgrade to.

XYZ