Peco Streamline Points - what size are best

Apples127

I’m in the planning stages of building a 3 loop layout in OO gauge in a reasonably large room (4.6 x 4.3 metres). I’m seeking advice as to which size of the Peco Streamline points are the best and apart from the length differences between all 3 from small through to large, what is the advantages of large versus medium and is there any difference in the radius turnouts?

In particular I want to use the Streamline points to connect all 3 mainline loops at long straight sections with the objective of having trains go through them at a reasonable speed without derailing. I’m intending on using set track and small streamline points for sidings & shunting or fiddle yards.

I am open to using Hornby Express points too but from some research i’ve done it appears Peco make a better product.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on the above.

The longer the points, the smoother your trains will run over them. However, bear in mind that some very short wheelbase locos may not like the longest "insulfrog" points as there is too much plastic. The ex Dapol pug, for example.

I use mainly the largest radius, and some of the curved points, and prefer to only use the shorter points where room is tight.

It’s a personal preference, mainline points tend to be larger to allow divergence from one line to another at higher speed. So similar to Doc I use larger on the main running lines and medium on sidings only using small if space is tight or in a goods yard where the bigger engine will not enter. I do use live frog points to get around the stalling problem though it does involve extra wiring.

For smooth running it has to be the larger points. I have a large radius crossover on from the UP Main to the UP relief and the trains run very well at speed through it. The trains also look a lot better. Small radius are not nearly as good. I have a small radius crossover in the station area, but that is OK for me as it is on the exit of the platforms so trains do not be go quickly over them.

Medium ones work OK, so I would say large or medium on the main line and small in the station areas if space is tight.

The geometry as well as the length of Peco Streamline points means that they are not immediately compatible with layouts otherwise based upon Setrack track sections which you say you intend to use.

Hornby curves are: 1st radius 371mm, 2nd radius 438mm, 3rd radius 505mm, 4th radius 572mm.

Peco Setrack and Hornby standard (R8072/3) points are 2nd radius.

Peco Streamline point radii are: small 610mm, medium 914mm, large 1524mm.

Hornby and Peco Setrack track spacing between adjacent track centres is 67mm whereas with Streamline points it would be 50mm.

So flexitrack would be needed to 'juggle' joins between Hornby/Setrack plain track and Streamline points.

As far as the geometry goes, for me thats where flexi track comes into play because yes the peco turnouts ( points ) are different in length to the hornby products, however, by connecting 2 left or right hand turnouts together and then joining flexi track to them aswell as having your curved track in place, you can find out where the flexi track needs to be cut in order to fit the required space.

Also the length of flexi track reduces the number of piece to piece connections that are needed which in turn should give better performance reliability.

Hope this helps.

The longer the points, the smoother your trains will run over them. However, bear in mind that some very short wheelbase locos may not like the longest "insulfrog" points as there is too much plastic.

Looking at my PECO points the insulated part of the frog looks about the same size regardless of radius so the length of point should make no difference as far as short based locos are concerned.

In an ideal world the longer the point the better for high speed transfers from one main line to another but I generally find their medium radius is perfectly adequate. I did invest in one set of long points on one of my hidden storage loops but this resulted in the loss of capacity for approximately three wagons on each loop so the other loops use medium with no ill effects

The majority of points on my layout are standard Hornby ones from the 1970's/80's along with some Peco settrack ones. The reason for this is that when I built my previous layout, out of necessity the baseboards were only seven inches off the floor, (in an attic with limited headroom). As I wanted/needed electrically operated points, sub-baseboard motors were obviously out of the question. As a result, when I began building my current layout in its own room I still had the points from before so decided to use them. I also wanted loops long enough to accommodate the trains I wanted to run so sacrificed appearance for functionality. With hindsight, I think I should have gone with steamline points as the loops in the scenic section are more than adequate. However, the fiddle yard consists of Hornby standard and curved points and Peco settrack ones. (Incidentally, I've never had a problem with derailments on the Hornby curved points.)

However, there are some Peco streamline points in the scenic section, (two small radius and one medium radius), and one thing that puzzles me is that some of my older stock, "jumps" on the frogs of the small radius points, but runs through the medium radius set without problems. Sometimes the wheels of older loco's jam between the stock and check rails at slow speeds on the small radius points, but this has never happened on the medium radius set.