Merchant navy class rebuilt R2294 pickups

rvinalaff

@ atom3624

Thank you Al, for the kind comment.

@rvinalaff

I certainly think Colin's suggestion is worth following up, with one small proviso - the length of the BB/WC pick-up wipers to the rear wheels may not be sufficient without tweeking to change the point at which they make contact with the wheel rim because the Merchant Navy has a longer wheelbase - about 2 to 3 mm in model form if I remember correctly - between the centre and rear wheels.

My MN pickups went south and despite much soldering of wires to the wiper strips rather than relying on one of the wiper strips pressing on the contact stud in the lower chassis, I gave up, stripped away the lower chassis and tried using ESU coach lighting contacts instead. I would have to dig the loco out of the boxed set to see exactly what I did and how many were used, etc and to take pictures. There has to be a better way of picking up current that the flimsy wipers in use now.

I keep meaning to have a closer look at my locos. Surprisingly some of the pickups on other models seem very similar. I agree with 96RAF once they get broken even if you fix them they are never quite the same. I bought the latest pickups for a Duchess as AC spares had them, they are so nice like all the newer models they connect via plungers so the pickups come off with their plastic holder in one piece. Surprisingly they also fit the earlier Duchess, you have to remove the sanders as on an old Duchess they touch the rails.

Hornby do that a lot. When I was building an original West Country from bits I had, I found the wheels and pony truck from the rebuilt ones fitted. Even the valve gear can be created from the rebuilt Merchant Navy, which was good as I had a set that was broken where the glue had come apart.

It is a minor thing but you might want to file the post on the chassis that used to connect to the chassis pickup, down a bit so the pickup sits a bit flatter.