Ruston 48DS dcc decoder

OzzyTrains

Hi there,

Does anyone know the compatibility of a Gaugemaster DCC93 6 pin 2 function small digital decoder (Ruby Series) with a Hornby Select controller. I see that Hattons are recommending this as the decoder to use for the Ruston 48DS. Alternatively, does anyone have a 48DS with a standard Hornby 6 pin plug that they can assure will fit?

Many thanks

I'm surprised there have been no replies thus far so maybe this will help. In the Dec 2019 Hornby magazine test of the 48 DS I quote " we connected Bachmann and Gaugemaster decoders to the sample all of which fitted happily inside. The three pole motor ran perfectly with both". No mention of the Hornby 6 pin version. The deciding factor is the decoder's length; I used a Lais 6 pin which was a tad too long so I had to resort to the Dremel to remove some metal in the cab to enable a fit (not recommended).

I would go and look at YouChoos range of Zimo decoders. I have nothing to do with YouChoos but I use a lot of their Zimo decoders as they are very competitive. For the Hornby Terrier where space was limited Zimo does a really small decoder. It is expensive at £34, but the Gaugemaster ones aren't cheap.Fortunately their site gives all the dimensions of their decoders.