ESU v4 sound decoder with Princess Royal Class sounds.

olly

I have a Hornby 21 pin ESU v4 sound decoder with Princess Royal Class sounds.

I’m having a problem where the main sounds on F1 are only working when the loco is in motion.

It was working correctly apart from every now and again it would not turn off the sounds on F1 it would make the coal shovelling sound. 

So I put it on my ESU Lokprogramer and updated the firmware.

I think I must have pressed something else in the Lokprogramer by mistake. I’ve tried resetting CV8 to 8 and that doesn’t solve the problem. 

Has anyone got any ideas what I can do to get it working again?

I was hoping to run this over Christmas.

I hope you get it going, but just in case you don't, LokSound do a replacement option for about £30 if you send them your old one. I found out when I had a broken v3.5 which unfortunately they don't do the same service for.

It may be when you updated the firmware, the firmware was not suited to your device. You could try upgrading your firmware again, it may be the device is stuck in the bootloader (the software that controls the upgrade). If not contact LokSound they should have a way to recover it. I didn't even know you could update the firmware on these.

I used to write software to upgrade automotive modules, I could write a book on all the issues you can get.

I doubt it is anything you have done, the firmware upgrade should be tolerant of wrong key presses, the only thing you must not do is remove the power while you are upgrading the firmware.

Did you choose the correct decoder version when you started the LokProgrammer application, as you may have inadvertantly loaded the wrong firmware although ESU is usually very good at trapping operator errors.

Depending upon whose sound file is on the decoder, you may be able to recover it.

If it was the Hornby sound file you may be able to find it on the ESU website and simply reload it. There are several UK loco sound files on there for all versions of the decoder, make sure you download the correct one.

Sadly there are no Princess Royal Class sound files on the ESU website.

The only bit I seem to be missing is the loco sound on F1 when the loco isn't moving as soon as I drive the loco the sound works and all other sounds work on their functions too.

I've tried the firmware again it makes no difference.

Surely F1 switching the sound on or off? I must admit on my older LokSound decoders I don't get any sound until the loco moves which is totally different to my Zimo ones which make noises all the time. So by Firmware you mean the file you load to get the sounds.

@Olly.........check the value of CV443 which is the steam hiss sound, default is 100. This is the continuous sound I hear on my Loksound steamer when stationary......HB

That didn’t work as it would not read or write CV 433

Just an update to bring this post to a conclusion

I now have the sound working again.

I have used a dc kits princess royal sound file and I’m very happy with it. I would say it’s the best UK steam sound I have it’s up there with my big boy and Roco S160

£20 well spent

I think the original sound file was corrupt or had a bit missing

Thanks, everyone for your help