DCC train sets

Adman1707822110

Does anyone know what Hornby are doing with DCC train sets?

They seem to have produced at least two but none are currently listed on the site! Been watching items on youtube and come across the Someset Belle and the Mixed Traffic sets but they don't appear anywhere on the Hornby website. I emailed Hornby about the mixed traffic set and what had happened to it and received the reply "sadly we are currently out of stock of the DCC sets. " which doesn't explain why they're not on the site, plenty of out of stock items are. I then emailed to ask when they'd be back in stock and got the reply "these are not planned to be restocked until April //May." in other words, we don't plan to get any in stock for at least the next three months. Don't they want to sell them?

This is a fairly common question that has been raised half a dozen times in the last 6 months or so. So far, no definitive reason has been offered by Hornby, and no "through the grapevine" clues identified.

Hornby Marketing keep their plans very close to their chest, and moderators have no access to "insider knowledge" we are as much in the dark as you.

All I can offer (personal opinion) is that Hornby will put emphasis on products that sell and sell well. If Hornby stockists and retailers are not clamouring for supplies and past history of sales is taken into account [it is believed that Analogue Sets significantly outsell Digital ones due to price difference], then I assume that it is percieved by Hornby that the demand is not high enough to push DCC Sets up the factory manufacturing slot schedule.

Assuming Chrissaf is right, Hornby have no way of knowing how well they would sell to individuals other than those individuals getting in touch directly with them. If DCC sets disappear from the website rather than just showing as out of stock they can't select a 'Notify me when this is back in stock' option which isn't actually an option on the website at all at the moment. So, if you want a DCC train set - email Hornby.

As I mentioned in another similar thread, and it is only my opinion/guess that DCC is a restricted market, at least for those new to the hobby. If they concentrate on selling DCC Ready sets they are covering both DC and DCC customers. The latter group have only to insert a decoder to convert from DC to DCC.