Converting a DCC locomotive to DC

If it is a steamer without lights all you need is a couple of jumpers like these on a decoder test rig that bridge the track pickups to the motor. If you have lights installed then it is necessary to include the second top left and the second bottom right into the cross links.

Often it is simpler to find and fit a correct to type blanking plug as these may have diodes to enable directional lighting.

forum_image_61d9a9bfa0bd2.png.a38f5f22515407a2d299c3cc6553a711.png

There are several ways you can do this. I would not do as someone who posts a video on the web did recently, cut off the socket and rewire it, then announce to the whole world how wonderful he was via a YouTube video, he just devalued his loco by £40.00.

I am surprised you cannot get a blanking plug, I have a bag full of them. I get one every time I add a socket. If you are able to solder, buy yourself an eight pin header, which is an electronics part you should be able to get on EBay and wire together pins 1 and 8, and pin 4 and 5 which surprisingly are next to each other, of course if it is an 8 pin socket. If it is anything else you really do need a DC blanking plug.

Alternatively if it is an 8 pin socket, get some suitable copper wire, make 2 "U" shaped pieces out of it. Push one into socket pins 1 and 8 the other into pins 4 and 5. I wouldn't cannibalise the decoder you might want to use it in the future plus if it works it is worth at least £10.00 or more.

If you want to sacrifice the decoder and treat it as bin fodder, then you could cut off the decoder 8 pin plug from the decoder. Then join and insulate the orange and red wires together and do the same with the grey and black wires. This will provide motor control on DC, but no lights. Any unused wires should be cut off or insulated.

For the Railroad 47 (if it has lights) then same except join the red, orange with yellow AND black, grey with white. If the lights don't work then you need to solder a couple of diodes to the blue wire, the band on the two diodes should both face the blue wire. The other ends of the diodes go to the previous stated wire joins, one diode to the r,o,y colours and the other diode to the b,g,w colours. The diodes can be industry standard 1N4000 series, any one from the series will do.

In both situations the green wire is not used and can be completely removed from the repurposed decoder plug.