Hornby Maglight

M. Matthews

The X version has the reed relay mounted on the LED strip, so the operating magnet needs to be positioned above the roof.

The R version has the operating relay mounted on a small separate PCB which allows the reed relay to be positioned in a custom location.

The R version also has a longer LED strip and an extra LED.

X coded parts also tend typically to be spares, whereas the R coded parts are full retail products. Maybe the packaging is significantly higher speced with more extensive instructions on the R version.

This however does not give a rational reason for why one is so much more expensive than the other. Other than the X version is using one less PCB & LED and simplier wiring which may reduce the amount of labour needed in the factory.

EDIT: The rational reason for the price difference is identified by member G.S, see replies further below.

Well spotted G.S.

Yes the R retail version does include the magnet.

Once you have one magnet you don't need more, so you would then buy the X version for additional coaches.

I know this isn’t quite what the topic is about, but I got a single R7338 maglight for an R40066 4 wheel GWR coach.

According to the instructions, this is designed for both the 4 and 6 wheel coaches, and you can just cut the LED strip to the length you desire. Which I did not. The strip fits perfectly end to end in a 4 wheel coach.

It does also comes with the little magnet inside the red plastic casing. It’s a clever system, but quite finicky and rarely turns on/off with a single pass.

I am curious if this is different to how they come when you buy them with fitted lights.

Although there are some Hornby coaches you can buy with factory fitted Maglights, I believe the factory Maglight coaches are restricted to the short wheelbase 4 / 6 wheeled versions and standard length coaches use track power.

SK stated on his 2022 range launch YT presentation that due to the safety aspects of kiddies eating button batteries from factory installed mag lit coaches the new ones would not be so equipped but they would still flog the retro-kits so you can DIY.

Muddled thinking in my opinion by passing the responsibility of controlling your kids from eating button batteries from factory to parent.

I despair of the state of the nation’s common sense.

This is a hobby where at 00 gauge, everything is tiny and easily swallowed. If you’re into that I guess.

The batteries aren’t even really accessible as you have to take the coaches apart, which a child likely wouldn’t do.

They aren’t worried about the myriad of other small swallowable parts, but a battery that’s secured in place and not easily accessible is an issue for them? This just sounds like a lazy cover using child protection so that it’s unquestionable.

Personally, I think the maglight kits are cheap. I've been trying to find some latching reed switches, but can't seem to find any costing less than 25-30 pounds. Currently I illuminate my coaches in a similar manner to the maglight using a strip of LED's wired to a button battery operated by a non-latching reed switch fixed to the underside of the roof. Too keep the switch closed, (lights on), the reed is operated by a tiny disc magnet sitting on the coach roof. It's not a major problem as I have painted one side of each magnet to blend in with the roof and when running trains in the dark, you can't see them anyway. It would obviously be more satisfactory to have latching switches which would remove the need for a magnet on each coach.

Regarding the view of current collection from the track, - very unsatisfactory using analogue control with the lights going out every time the train stops.

Potterton,

Latching Reed Relays available here at £2.99 each or £27.50 for 10

https://www.layouts4u.net/coach-lighting-tail-lights/battery-coach-lighting-kits-and-tail-lights?a=1&page=2

Many after market kits include capacitor stay alives to keep lights on with DC Analogue control, although mine are DCC, my coach lights stay on for 1 to 2 minutes after I switch off my power. The light [single LED] in my brake van stays on for 5 minutes.

As an experiment, I fitted a latching reed switch and LED's to an old Bachmann Bulleid brake coach, and during construction of my hill/tunnel I fitted a strong magnet behind the tunnel portal (at the top) as the track leaves the fiddle yard and enters the tunnel. It works - the coach leaving the fiddle yard with the lights out, enter the tunnel and exits at the other end with the lights on. Coming back to the fiddle yard is obviously the reverse operation.

forum_image_61dea15a94875.thumb.png.5835843a4dc25089b00cd7305a9f8d33.png