LAISDCC kungfu and Hornby Select

Chris-K

Hi, I'm being told this decoder and the Hornby Select will not work together can someone tell me if that is correct before I get them converted,

"the signal from the controller is slightly different and just will not communicate with chip. It’s something Hornby know about but have never done anything about it"

These "this will not work with the Select" statements by retailers are misleading.

The statement may have some truth in it, if the Select firmware is an early version. But the later and current Select firmwares are much improved.

It depends what firmware you have in YOUR Select.

EDIT: Rob posted whilst I was still typing.

Chris-K

You are now running with two different threads asking the same questions.

I have pasted below the reply I left in your other thread asking the same question. Please also note the comment about how to reply. This "how to" comment is applicable to all your threads.

"Chris-K

It has been pointed out in replies to your posts more than once that using the blue button with the white arrow is not the best way to reply. This time you used the blue button on Rob's image post which sent your reply attempt back to the image approval queue. It has now been approved in an edited form and shows above.

It is so much more efficient to use the preferred reply method by writing your reply in the "Reply Text Box" at the bottom of the page and clicking the green 'Reply' button.

To answer your question, Yes the Select firmware can be updated. The current installed firmware is the very first number to briefly appear on screen as you power up the Select. This firmware number will be between 10 & 20 and be followed by the number 30 then the number 03."

EDIT: The firmware update is a return to Hornby update for which you will need to obtain a "returns number" from Hornby Customer Services. The turnaround is typically less than 10 working days and typically costs £15 plus your sending P&P.

After update, the "user interface" [how you use it] is completely different. So you need to download the Select R8213 [version 1.5] manual and version 1.6 / 2.0 Select Addendum manual. Both documents can be downloaded from the "support" section of the Hornby website.

Version 1.6 totally transforms the Select. Not only does version 1.6 give full support for functions F0 to F28, it also gives support to write to all CVs in the CV1 to CV255 range.

I tried many decoders when I first started using DCC, LaisDCC is far from the worst. Obviously this is not the forum to list them, but in the end I settled on one which was good value for money and reliable. The only thing I found lacking with the LaisDCC was its response to a dirty track, in that it didn't perform very well. There again a lot of the other makes didn't either and they were a lot more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used both the original Lais and the Kung fu with Select, after having the select upgraded to 1.6 none of the Lais decoders would work with the Select I did try and sort it out with Hornby with out much help, this was before lockdowns so I appreciate the lack of response, I have mentioned to send the Select in for upgrade but have not had the time.

@bluesman

You say you already have the latest firmware (v1.6) then you say you haven’t had time to send it in to be updated. If it is v1.6 then it does not need updating.

Are you saying these decoders do not work with the latest firmware..