Loco only goes in one direction with new DCC sound decoder and Fleishmann controller.

ColinB

Here is a brain puzzler for you. I bought a new sound decoder for one of my locos, the company that produces these has upgraded their technology (I won't say which one). I have an Hornby Elite which I program the locos and a Fleishmann twin track controller that I run the locos on the track with. Program up the sound decoder on my Hornby 01 loco and change the address, runs perfectly backwards and forwards on test track. Take the loco to my main layout and no matter what direction I set on the Fleishmann the loco only goes in one direction. Sometimes it will move backwards a bit but then goes forward although you have selected backwards on the controller. So I replace the Fleishmann on the layout with the Elite and the loco runs perfectly. So obviously the newly designed decoder doesn't like the DCC signal coming out of the Fleishmann. All my other sound fitted locos work perfectly with it (LokSound, TTS and old Zimo), so has anyone else noticed this behaviour with any other decoders. I was thinking of replacing the Fleishmann with a newer controller long term, so it looks like it may well be necessity in the future. The Fleishmann is very old, I bought it broken for £30 and fixed it so fortunately it is not a big loss, it is just it is so easy to use and setting up my Heljan turntable is really easy. Unfortunately the Elite is not as good for running the locos, although it is tons better at programming them.

Tell which make and model this new sound decoder is Colin and maybe Hornby can get hold of one and test it against their kit and with the other make controllers they already have in inventory for comparative testing.

This anonymous decoder works with A but doesn't work with B is not a viable bench test scenario.

I seem to recall many, many years ago a forum member from Holland (Ron and Bram) had an Elite and a Twin Track controller and was very knowledgable about their interaction and compatibility. A pity he isn’t active on the forum now as he could probably answer your question.

It was the new Zimo sound decoder the Zimo MS480R. I phoned up YouChoos and they were going to raise a request to Zimo. It is not Hornby's issue as it works perfectly well with the Elite, so I doubt that they would be too interested, but if they want to borrow my Fleishmann to test it, then I would be quite happy to lend it to them. I suspect it is timing on the signal, I think that they had set the window too tight or it is the way that they are interpreting the commands. It is a shame as the sound is a substantial improvement. All the other commands work, it is just weird that is only goes in one direction. Fleishmann don't support the twin track controller anymore so I know that is a wasted request. As I say I have been thinking of buying a DigiKeijs in the future, so eventually that is what I will do. It is weird though, especially when you tell it to go backwards and it goes backwards for say a length of a point then decides to go forward without any input from the controller.

Oh dear, early adopter teething issues perhaps?

I'm sure when I ordered function decoders earlier this week YouChoos had only just announced that the MS decoders were due soon, you musty have got in really sharp!

Which prompts me to wonder if my postie is OK, I haven't spotted him today and I was hoping the decoders would arrive today. Most of this weeks mail has been sodden, as has the postie.

Hope Zimo can solve it for you or replace under warranty.

Oh wait, you repaired the Fleischman controller, maybe it is related to that - not saying your repair is not top notch, but maybe it was damaged in a way which only the new decoder has picked up on?

It is definitely not the repair I made all I had to do was add a connector and power supply. The controller works with every other decoder I have so it definitely points to the new one. I suspect Zimo designed the decoder to the tighter end of the DCC signal timings, hence why the issue. I doubt Zimo are going to do a fix for a 20 year old controller, but I suppose it depends how many people in Germany and Austria have one, as I assume it would be more popular there. Anyway the DCC generation with be produced by software on a microprocessor so a bit difficult to mess up without changing the software. I could go into my Thompson 01 and remove any capacitors as that might effect it. I eventually will get a DigiKeijs, it is substantially cheaper than a brand new Hornby loco.

If you remember Colin TTS had a batch of decoders that would only program and run in one direction. When the loco was physically turned round on the track all was well. That was fixed by a decoder firmware update. Could be similar with your Zimo.

I suspect you are right 96RAF. Unfortunately they are not going to do it for someone who has an issue with a 20 year old controller. I have raised my concerns with YouChoos, the trouble is as I said before it works perfectly with the Elite. I suppose I just need to wait and see if there are issues with other makes of non Hornby controller. Trying to get the Germans/ Austrians to actually admit they have an issue with their software is normally impossible, believe me I have been there many times in my old job. Us Brits normally accept we make mistakes, hence why Hornby did a new software release.

I intend eventually to get a W1 Hush Hush sound decoder, which will probably be in a couple of months time. So I will see if that is any better.

I suspect it’s a combination of the decoder and the controller. I’ve been running an MS450R for a while and I have no problems (I bought mine overseas where they have been available for some time). I did update the firmware to the latest version first and then installed the Youchoos sound file as I do have that ability. If you are running a Youchoos sourced chip that will be the latest firmware version as the sound files need those features. I run both MERG command stations and DCC++ EX for controllers and I have no issues

• 1 month later...

Well I contacted Zimo direct and told me to try a few things, but it still didn't resolve the issue. So yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a brand new Digikeijs DR5000, what a wonderful device. I am pleased to say it fixes the issue. I suspect Zimo will be phasing out their previous technology, YouChoos has currently ran out of the old style 8 pin sound decoders so it sort of forced my hand. Obviously their must be a timing issue with the Fleishmann Controllers DCC signal.

Not unheard of Colin. Not sure if you were around when TTS had a similar problem in a batch some years ago - would only run in one direction. Hornby replaced/upgraded all affected decoders.

PS. Sorry about repeating what Rob said on page 1. Didn’t realise there was a page 1 when I replied.

Not that it matters now Colin seeing as you have bought a new controller, but did you ever catch the Elite and Fleischmann DCC signals on a scope for comparison to see if it was timing or a signal glitch.

No 96RAF I didn't, I still have the devices so I could check one day. When I mailed Zimo they were adament that there was nothing wrong with their software, which having dealt with German/Austrian Software companies for years is normally the answer. I have got some real interesting stories about my attempts in the past to actually locate a serious error in CAN communications software. So I didn't bother arguing and decided to move on. There was a really good video on YouTube that an New Zealand guy made which answered all the questions I had with the new device and he was absolutely right. It does appear from the guy at Zimo that they have implemented a new command so that may be the issue. Anyway the Digikeijs DR5000 is all that I wanted, so I am happy and compared to the price of modern locos, relatively cheap.