Bachmann class 108 pickups problem - ref 32-900.

96RAF

Has anyone got a Bachmann DMU and had any problem with their odd pickup wiper system.

See picture and screen grab. It looks like the dummy bogie runs on pin-point axles with a loosely enclosed wiper around the axle whereas the motor bogie wipers appear to just bear on top of the axle bush, rather than the normal Hornby back of wheel wipers method.

Neither dummy nor motor bogie wheels appear to be adjustable for B2B dims due to the fixed plastic axle shaft.

My problem is the loco stops and starts when running on DCC. I can’t remember having anything but praise for it when running in on DC using HM6K app. Decoders are Lenz Gold 1.5 amp so reasonable quality.

I am tempted to solder on some axle scrapers using phosphor bronze wire.

forum_image_621cea4f79591.thumb.png.4c3f650fed561632413254709819da21.png

forum_image_621cea53d0810.thumb.png.9798ef26e7c27ececd9c9c88913233f4.png

I have two class 121 bubble cars. One Dapol one Bachmann.

I bought the Dapol first and then splashed out on a 21 pin MarksTrains soundscape decoder for it. However it has the same type of pickups as you show in your right hand picture. The 121 was an appealing runner and no amount if track and wheel cleaning achieved anything. So I bought a Bachmann class 121 to fit the soundscape decoder in but it has a 22 pin socket. So I bought a 22 pin MarksTrains soundscape decoder for it. The pickups on the Bachmann are the same as the 900-302 ones on the dummy end but the motor bogie has those in the right hand picture. It runs extremely well.

So what did I do to the Dapol to get it running properly. In my bits box I had 4 rear of wheel pickups, taken from a pair of 0-4-0 locos. These I shortened so that the ends were the correct distance apart. I cut them and them soldered the two pieces back together with an overlap. Then I drilled a hole the same diameter as the original wipers attaching screw and screwed them on to the bogies. The contact between the old and the new allowed good conductivity to the decoder. Both bogies in the Dapol are driven. They now have the original wipers and the extras on each side of both bogies. The result is an excellent runner.

The soundscape on the Dapol is a busy terminus sound. That on the Bachmann is country sounds.

The photos show the pickups, sorry it's limited but better pictures would require disassembly.

forum_image_621cfb7c1cefc.thumb.png.a5788aa0e1c96c75ac165d92b740533b.png

forum_image_621cfb825b474.thumb.png.df2bfb7a5e3aefa83ecfa108f3b3fad6.png

Thanks Mike. It looks like a mod program will be required. I have some springy wire so I shall solder a tab on, that will use the original screw and the wire can run on the axle to minimise drag. If the dummy bogie is enough I will leave it at that.

Could do Mike, I have the odd 2-pin plug and socket lying around. Should be easy enough to hook up to the PCBs.

Both decoders are on the same address, but would be upstream of the track power anyhow.

I seem to remember getting the bodies off was a struggle.