Class P2 Body Repair

Deem

@Going Spare

I can get the part from Cardiff of Lendons for around or under £6.00

Question is how to replace because I have removed the body from loco to see if I can remove the broken part and replace with new one.

It doesn't seem to have any thing there suggesting it's possible to remove above part and replace it.

I am amazed they offer it as a spare part. Generally other than a very few exceptions Hornby don't offer smoke deflectors as spare parts (I wanted one for a Brit). I agree with everyone else, if Hornby provide it as a spare part it must pull off, generally the bits you have to glue they don't provide as spare parts.

Isn't there a railroad and detailed version of the P2?

Not knowing which version the OP has, could it be that the spare part is only suitable for the more expensive version?

I have the detailed version, I can have a look tonight when I'm back in the loft.

@Will Hay

@Going Spare

My Loco is Railroad model which makes X6664 correct part for my Loco.

I am struggling to understand or even consider attempt to remove smoke deflector. For my liking I prefer to buy the whole body shell, unless I see detailed pictures or video someone else doing it, but I can't think any reason or want anyone to attempt for the sake of it.

Regards

Well Deem the simple answer is probably because the owner broke it, as to getting a complete body shell best of luck with that. Unless you can find a scrap one they are difficult to source, Hornby do not supply them as spares. Perhaps the owner doesn't want to attend the toy fairs from now to eternity looking for one or sitting on EBay hoping one appears and then finding that you get outbid with 10 seconds to go. Yes I have been through the process of finding replacement body shells. Of course then when you get it home finding a hairline crack that you never noticed under the poor light. So I applaud the guy trying to fix it I didn't even realise you could buy it as a spare.

Well then you are very lucky, I have been chasing various bodies for ages. Then there is usually the issue that in some cases what you see is not always what you get. Some EBay photos don't always show everything. I wanted a chassis for my Mazak rotted chassis on a Princess. The only chassis available at the time came with a body, I bid on it and won it only to find out it was a Princess body on top of an A4 chassis, it fitted so well, it was difficult in the photos to see the difference. Sure I could have moaned at EBay and sent it back, usually to the Seller either telling me they were selling it for a friend or didn't know. So generally if I can repair the old one with new parts I will.

@ColinB

Fair point, about ebay one can have very bad experience but I don't know if I am just lucky or something else I have bought lots of parts from ebay (mobile phones parts, laptops parts and even car or M/C parts and I can count on my finger tips how many times I received wrong or ordered wrong).

Looking at the pictures of class 2 body shell there are 2 versions

Railroad version

Detailed version

I needed railroad model so looking at the pictures I think I may be OK but will update once I received the body shell.

Regards

If you are interested I replaced my P2 motor which was a 3 pole, with a Pendolino one which is five pole. I also added pickups to the tender using ones robbed out of an A4 tender. I found the information about the motor off a guy on the web doing a YouTube video and he was right.

@ColinB

Just received today i bought from ebay class 2 Cock O The North Hornby R3171 which has been converted from 3 pole to 5 pole motor.

Haven't tested it yet but will do tonight when I am in my man cave.

Will update how that went as well.

Thanks for your help and if you could provide link where I can see the conversion so maybe I can attempt to do conversion to my existing 3 pole motor class P2 with damaged body.

The 5 pole conversion is here :-

His method for removing the twin worm drive doesn't work, or it didn't for me. I used a standard model aircraft propeller puller with a ground down 5 pence coin as the part to go behind the worm, it is the only piece of metal I found thin enough and strong enough.

Yes Deem that is the one I use. I found the plate it comes with wouldn't fix behind the worm drive as it was too fat, so I took a 5 pence piece filed down the edges so it fits in the jaws and cut a slot in it. It may be on the motor you buy there might be enough room to use the plate, if not use the 5 pence piece. With this puller the puller has to absolutely square with the worm drive as you pull otherwise the pin in the puller bends.

@ColinB

Well Luck must have caught me, Class P2 Body I bought from eBay is gone missing, according to Royal Mail it was delivered to my address on 19th March but I was in Birmingham helping my brother to move his house so I don't know who they delivered and now I am without body of Loco and there is possibility I might not get my money back.

Second, Class P2 converted with 5 Pole motor I bought from eBay suppose to run very smoothly, compare to Class P2 with 3 pole motor, my Class P2 with genuine 3 Pole motor runs much better, more smoothly and need less throttle power before Loco will start to move.

I will do full service later or tomorrow and will share my thought here.