R8247

Tony1707822780

You admit you are new to this so the following is intentionally at Noddy level.

What point number(s) are you trying to program (Then answers can be made specific to those addresses).

What revision state is your Elite (This can affect how you operate the unit - early revisions points were changed by clicking a single speed knob, later this was modified so left knob changed points one way and right knob changed them the other way.

Elite will auto-convert a point (i.e. port) address into the necessary Group address that is stored in CV1. If you are not aware of Group versus Port addressing then see your R8247 manual, especially if Rev 2.

Presuming your Elite is at latest revision v1.45...

Programming is same as for a loco decoder, except we use Acc not Loco in the menus and we connect the R8247 direct to the Prog output not via a programming track. You can leave the solenoids connected and just run a pair of wires back to the Elite from your layout.

Connect the R8247 Track A-B terminals to the Prog terminals on your Elite.

Select Menu > twist for Acc > Direct > Address > Write - input the point number (say 1 but can be any number including 4 digits. Click and wait (number of flashes is not important regardless of the user manual - read back will confirm if programming was successful).

Now read back the address and you will see the Group number not the port address. I.e. if you programmed port numbers 1 to 4 you will see Group 1 read back, if ports 5 to 8 then Group 2, if ports 9 to 12 then Group 3, etc.

Elite will auto-program all four ports in a Group based on the single port address number you gave it.

If your R8247 is Rev 2 then Resetting the module to factory default by writing value 8 to CV 8 will put the module in Standard mode and set the port addresses to 1 through 4 as well as setting the output to pulse. If Rev 1 then ditto but there is only one mode.

Reconnect your R8247 to the Elite Track output and check if your points work, by pressing Acc button, entering your chosen address and clicking speed knobs as above.

Thanks for reply.

Sorry I didn't say that I was using the R8247 point and accessory decoder.

I followed the instructions in it, connecting it to the rail using the provided kit and, the point motor to the 1st decoder input. The instructions say to connect the points to the 1st available port,I connected it as shown and set the code 601 as suggested and press select (version 2) then the red led will flash up to 7 times, mine keeps flashing 8 times. The instructions say, if it flashes 8 times then re-programme it again, which I have done several times but get the same result.

Hang on - you have me confused now.

Let us get straight which kit you are using...

Elite (2 speed knobs) - accessory address range 1 to 999.

or

Select (1 speed knob) - accessory address range 61 to 99.

and/or/or not

R8247 if not this accessory decoder then which make and model do you have.

You started off saying your controller is an Elite, but later you talk about pressing Select version 2. Elite does not have a select button but the Select does. Select if fairly new will be firmware v2.0.

R8247 if you have it can also be v2.0 if so this will be so labelled on the box.

Code 601 is not an input value I recognise but may be applicable to some other make of acc decoder. Ref to the user manual page - paragraph would be handy.

If you can clarify all of the above points then maybe I can help further.

@Tony

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’