Railmaster re-activation

Hello all

I received my elink and railmaster software and set it up, all okay. I had to wait for a sound decoder, which I have now fitted and got it working, brilliant, I was so pleased. Just before shutting down my laptop I was asked to carry out an update, which I did. The next time I switched the laptop on the Elink would not communicate with the laptop. I now know that I should have removed the drivers and reinstall them, but I did a recovery to before the update. Then I had to reinstall the software. Because it had already been activated, I had to fill in the form to get a new activation code, but the form will not recognise my password.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Pete, for a start, reinstalling the RM software and the eLink drivers are generally never needed. Too late for you now but remember for the future. In particular, when doing RM updates, you just install the new version over the top of the existing version without first removing it.

I’m assuming the update you are referring to was a Windows update, not an RM update? If so, the most likely reason your eLink couldn’t be found afterwards is that Windows changed the com port it used for the eLink, a common problem with Windows. When this occurs, it is a simple matter of checking the com port in Device Manager, then adjusting the port in your RM Setup screen to match. That will be all that is necessary.

But the problem you now have is that, having removed your original copy of RM without de-activating, your licence key is showing as already activated in the HRMS database so it thinks you are trying to use it a second time when you are trying to activate now (it’s your key not the password that’s the problem).

How do you fix this? Contact HRMS explaining what you’ve done and providing them with exactly the same details you gave them when first activating. They will then reset your key so you can use it again. Contact them either from the form in the Help screen of RM or via support@rail-master.com.

You say you had to deinstall and reinstall the eLink drivers.

In Win 10 the eLink uses Windows drivers so no need to load anything else. To ensure you have the correct drivers, delete the eLink from Dev Mgr ticking the box to remove the drivers as well. Then let Windows find the device and reload its own drivers.

You also say you have completed the reactivation form but it does not accept your password. You must use the exact same details, email, etc as you used for the first registration or HRMS thinks you are a second user. Contact them direct as Fishy suggests.

Thanks for the replies.

After the windows update and the laptop not communicating with the Elink, I checked in device manager and could not see any com ports but three other devices with exclamation marks by them( problems with drivers), I was unsure what they were but eventually I removed them and reconnected the Elink, the drivers loaded up automatically but there was no Railmaster app on my desktop only the setup icon. So, I will contact Railmaster with the email address you gave me.

Thanks again for the help

Pete