PECO electrofrog crossings

Brew Man

I'm soon to be adding a branchline to my layout. It will start from the mainline station and will need to cross the mainline before starting up a gradient. I will need two crossings to get it across the two mainline loops. I wanted Electrofrog crossings but they don't seem to exist in code 100. Code 75 yes, but not code 100. Only Insulfrog seem to exist. Has anyone ever come across these? They are not even listed on PECO's site.

You could use the Code 75 crossings and place the short Peco conversion track at each track end of the crossing. I doubt you would notice. I use Code 75 and have two electrofrog double slips, and they work well - slight downside is that they need two point motors each. The other thing to be careful of would be if you have older loco's with deeper wheel flanges, they may ride up on code 75 track.

Yes, I found this, why I do not know. To make matters worse the long crossing has a huge plastic frog which makes things even worse. I eventually bought double slips, but again you cannot get them in electrofrog, although in this case I could see it would be very difficult to design. I just get the opinion Peco want to focus on code 75 track

I have one code 100 insulfrog long crossing, and don't have any issues with stalling, although it is a little used section of track.

it is used to go from the Down main over the Up main to run onto a bi-directional length of track to access the branch.

I have two code 100 double slips and two single slips in regular use, and only have occasional issues with stalling over one of the double slips. There have been two variations on the double slip, one of which does have more plastic I think.

My locos stalled all the time on the long crossing, I must admit it was when I was running old Hornby ringfield based locos with only pickups on the power bogie. I have a similar issue with the double slips if the the loco is a short wheelbase 0-6-0 tank loco. The locos with a tender with pickups work perfectly, but then they should.

I think I'll probably just go with the PECO Insulfrog short crossings and see how they go. I actually have a Hornby Diamond crossing though that might muck up my track geometry. They are also left or right hand oriented and I can't remember which one I have.

"They are also left or right hand oriented and I can't remember which one I have."

The Hornby part number is moulded in to the underside, or overlay it on an ordinary left or right handed point, left hand crossing will align with a left hand point Etc.