Point Motor and Accessory Decoder advice sought

Sri-355216

Hi,

Am looking for any members around Uxbridge London, who could help me/ advise me with connecting multiple surface mounted point motors with a digital points/ accessory decoder. Have been in touch with Hornby Tech Support but somehow not been able to get them working correctly.

Would very much appreciate any help/ advice.

Thanks,

Sri

Hi Sri

If you are able to explain your problem in detail on this thread, it is quite likely that you will get an answer from another Forum member, as this is a topic that has been raised on a number of occasions.

Hi Sri
If you are able to explain your problem in detail on this thread, it is quite likely that you will get an answer from another Forum member, as this is a topic that has been raised on a number of occasions.

Hi, as advised by Hornby Tech Support connected 2 point motors to the same channel on the accessory decoder and gave them the address 61. When I try to switch points sometimes one works sometimes the other and on rare occasions both. Also when I connected a second set of points (for another cross over on my layout) neither of them work. So far have followed the wiring as instructed by tech support but not been able to get them to work.

On my layout (Hornby Trak Mat plus couple of additional cross overs) I have 8 sets of cross overs and am looking to connect them in a way that when I switch both points (on either end of the cross over) which switch.

Hope this adds clarity.

Hi

If you are using the Hornby R8247 accessory decoder, it tends to suffer from the fact that it only has a really small CDU inside and to make matters worse, that CDU is shared between all four outputs! This is really not the best and there are Accessory decoders that offer separate CDUs per output, such as DCC Concepts AD-Sxx range. Also, what DCC system is being used? If the Select, the 1.0 Amp power supply suppled with the Select isn't really large enough to power locos and accessories. If you have the Select with the 1.0Amp wall plug power supply, consider upgrading the power supply to the 4.0Amp version P9300.

We have to assume you have R8247 with R8243 surface motors? If so, each motor has three wires and are coloured Red, Green and Black. The red and green wires connect to the accessory decoders terminals + and - and the black to C.

Next comes the length of wire run between the Accessory Decoder and the furthest point motor. The supplied factory fitted wires are quite fine and really need to be larger where any length of wire run is 2Mtrs or more! Suggest these wires are terminated underneath the motor/on the baseboards underside, into a three way terminal block and the three wires from the decoder to the block are in at least 16/0.2mm equipment wire. Do not link motor to motor where two are to move together - Take all three wires per motor back to the decoders terminals with two wires in each terminal.

Finally, surface mounting motors need to be fitted so as they are not too tightly pulled down. Ensure each motor on its own can be operated correctly from the Accessory Decoder before adding the other motor.

Hi Sri, apologies in advance but I am the thread title Improvement person around here but I only do it to get you better answers to your problem.

Looking at your title, it tells me you want advice on point motors and accessories decoders but you are keeping what advice a secret. If you now look back at the title, and your original post, the advice you need is still somewhat of a secret not explained until you answered RDS, then we knew what you were on about.

So what would my better title be to get you the answers you need? It would be “Operation of Two Point motors on a Single Channel of a Hornby Accessory Decoder”. Also, if that had been your title it would have focussed your mind on what to say in your original post.

Anyway, you have your answer from Flashbang. I’d just add - don’t try to operate two channels of the accessory decoder immediately after each other. You need to leave a few seconds for the CDU to recharge.

Hi
If you are using the Hornby R8247 accessory decoder, it tends to suffer from the fact that it only has a really small CDU inside and to make matters worse, that CDU is shared between all four outputs! This is really not the best and there are Accessory decoders that offer separate CDUs per output, such as DCC Concepts AD-Sxx range. Also, what DCC system is being used? If the Select, the 1.0 Amp power supply suppled with the Select isn't really large enough to power locos and accessories. If you have the Select with the 1.0Amp wall plug power supply, consider upgrading the power supply to the 4.0Amp version P9300.
We have to assume you have R8247 with R8243 surface motors? If so, each motor has three wires and are coloured Red, Green and Black. The red and green wires connect to the accessory decoders terminals + and - and the black to C.
Next comes the length of wire run between the Accessory Decoder and the furthest point motor. The supplied factory fitted wires are quite fine and really need to be larger where any length of wire run is 2Mtrs or more! Suggest these wires are terminated underneath the motor/on the baseboards underside, into a three way terminal block and the three wires from the decoder to the block are in at least 16/0.2mm equipment wire. Do not link motor to motor where two are to move together - Take all three wires per motor back to the decoders terminals with two wires in each terminal.
Finally, surface mounting motors need to be fitted so as they are not too tightly pulled down. Ensure each motor on its own can be operated correctly from the Accessory Decoder before adding the other motor.

Hi Flashbang,

Your response was very helpful. To answer some of your points:

(1) Am using the R8243 surface point motor

(2) I am using the Hornby Select Controller but have upgraded to the 4 Amp power supply :-)

(3) As for the wire connections had taken the wires from the two point motors and connected them together into a electrical connector block and from there ran three wires to the accessory controller. Maybe I need to change that and run the wires from the point motors separately and only join them at decoder terminal.

(4) Right now testing the points with the wires running on top of the baseboard but yes will run them from underneath once am sure the points work well.

(5) Have made sure the point motors are not too tightly screwed down and that the points can move.

Will try out your suggestions and let you know.

Thanks,

Sri

Hi Sri, apologies in advance but I am the thread title Improvement person around here but I only do it to get you better answers to your problem.
Looking at your title, it tells me you want advice on point motors and accessories decoders but you are keeping what advice a secret. If you now look back at the title, and your original post, the advice you need is still somewhat of a secret not explained until you answered RDS, then we knew what you were on about.
So what would my better title be to get you the answers you need? It would be “Operation of Two Point motors on a Single Channel of a Hornby Accessory Decoder”. Also, if that had been your title it would have focussed your mind on what to say in your original post.
Anyway, you have your answer from Flashbang. I’d just add - don’t try to operate two channels of the accessory decoder immediately after each other. You need to leave a few seconds for the CDU to recharge.

Got it and will remember for the next time around. Thanks.

Hi Sri, please do not use the blue button with white arrow to make your replies. It is confusing because it looks like it should be a reply button but that is for quoting posts, which at the great level of attention you are giving your query is unnecessary and needlessly replicates text, which can sometimes make a thread more difficult to follow. Just type into the reply box under the last post, hit the green button and your done.

R-

Hi

Flashbang,

your advise worked. Configuring one point at a time and following your tips have not got the pair of points at either end of the crossover working in tandem. Also as I needed another points controller (have 8 crossover to configure) am ordering the DCC points controller for the second one. Hopefully it’ll be plain sailing now on. Thanks for your help.

Sri

Moderator Note - you were advised NOT to use the Blue Button.