HORNBY Azuma with elite controller

Peter-351502

Elite controller v1.3 firmware

Was working with the HORNBY Azuma, but has now stopped responding to movement and direction control - sound still works.

tested with the select and elink controller - Azuma still works fine

Other locos are still working with the elite, just not the Azuma.

Hi Peter, there is very little info to go on here except - as the fault is specific to just one loco, it is likely to be that loco, not the controller.

However, may I suggest that the first thing I would be doing is downloading the latest Elite firmware upgrade (v1.45?) along with the instructions for installing it. Following doing so, I’d try again.

You don’t say which decoders are fitted.

Are you sure you are using the correct address on the Elite. As it works on the Select it must have a short address, but is that same address being used by Railmaster (eLink) and Elite or have you allocated and switched over to a long address.

You still haven’t told us which decoders you are using nor the address you have allocated.

address 12

esu loksound v5- motor end

unknown - other end

neither respond to direction with the elite controller- okay with elink and select.

trackmaster to elink - works fine

trackmaster to elite- only sound works

@peter

thanks for the additional info.

I would agree with Fishy that updating the Elite will probably sort the issue.

Railmaster obviously recognised the decoder but the older Elite firmware is struggling.

I know this is not much help but when you fix please let us know how you did it. I must admit my Elite always works ok, occasionally if left on for a long time it does start doing funny things. My Elite though is at the latest level and I don't tend to use it on my main layout. I use it mainly for programming and testing.

@peter

Just for info, this is what the updates subsequent to v1.3 do for the Elite. Be aware that once updated your Elite will operate very differently to before so download the latest manual from here ... https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016160599-R8214-Hornby-Elite-Manual ... and have a read.

Version 1.4 - Support for 29 functions (F0-F28) in momentary or latching modes. Support for dummy car programming. Simplified switching of locos and accessories in control stack. Sapphire decoder support for features. Several user reported bug fixes.

Version 1.41 - Controller lockup fixed. Speed knob selection logic changed. Programming of R8215 decoders fixed. Reboot into last used mode. Minor display anomalies fixed.

Version 1.42 - Dummy car programming wasn't working - fixed. Improved support for Bachmann decoders. Display corruption in Operate mode fixed. Support for Select v1.5.

Version 1.43 - Xpressnet response fix from Elite Emergy Stop recovery. Bug fix in TTS decoder programming and reading in service mode. Quicker response with Select in Walkabout mode. Feedback from walkabout hand controllers to Elite screen. PoM for suitable accessory decoders. 

Version 1.44 - Elite not handling TTS diesel functions F5-F8 correctly - fixed.

Version 1.45 - Elite not handling Sapphire decoder fuel burn utility correctly - fixed.

@peter
Just for info, this is what the updates subsequent to v1.3 do for the Elite. Be aware that once updated your Elite will operate very differently to before so download the latest manual from here ... https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016160599-R8214-Hornby-Elite-Manual ... and have a read.
Version 1.4 - Support for 29 functions (F0-F28) in momentary or latching modes. Support for dummy car programming. Simplified switching of locos and accessories in control stack. Sapphire decoder support for features. Several user reported bug fixes.
Version 1.41 - Controller lockup fixed. Speed knob selection logic changed. Programming of R8215 decoders fixed. Reboot into last used mode. Minor display anomalies fixed.
Version 1.42 - Dummy car programming wasn't working - fixed. Improved support for Bachmann decoders. Display corruption in Operate mode fixed. Support for Select v1.5.
Version 1.43 - Xpressnet response fix from Elite Emergy Stop recovery. Bug fix in TTS decoder programming and reading in service mode. Quicker response with Select in Walkabout mode. Feedback from walkabout hand controllers to Elite screen. PoM for suitable accessory decoders. 
Version 1.45 - Elite not handling Sapphire decoder fuel burn utility correctly - fixed.

I’m pleased to report that a firmware upgrade and factory reset fixed the issue with the elite controller.

When the new firmware was loaded, for 12 the controller display did not response, showing that there was an issue - which was new. Then it was fine after doing a factory reset.

@peter

I’m pleased to report that a firmware upgrade and factory reset fixed the issue with the elite controller.

When the new firmware was loaded, for 12 the controller display did not respond, showing that there was an issue - which was new. Then it was fine after doing a factory reset.

@Peter

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’