new layout design

Dukedog.

@dukedog

This one looks more manageable, but be aware that trains crossing from one track to the other within the station confines at bottom left will probably foul the platform edges due to the overhang at the ends on locos and coaches. To avoid this myself I arrange my points alongside the ramp sections on the platform ends where there is more clearance. Of course, this will not affect you if you are planning to use low platforms, as used in some other countries, rather than the normal Hornby ones modelled on UK practice. I look forward to further developments with interest.

The "fiddle yard" at the top - I would run your two loops (main lines) through the middle of it, not on one side. Again, this is from experience.

I don't know why you want the wye as well as the reverse loop! More trouble than it's worth I think. Then you can have longer station platforms (don't really know why you would want the 2nd station either really) & maybe a passing loop inside the inner platform.

If you really want to have the 3rd smaller loop, could be worth experimenting having the reverse loop coming off that.

What size is your space? Are the increments on the plan 1 foot?

Is the layout in a room or a loft, i.e. is the light grey area door clearance or loft access stairs.

It is presumed the dark grey area is an operating well.

UK convention is for a train to approach a platform from the right therefore any need for reversing whole trains is moot with double line running.

I agree with RPJ about the centre through roads in the top fiddle yard. Dropp your main lines down a tad to give say two sidings for each with a cross over.

If you still need the rev loop then consider losing the top leg of the Wye and joining the inner loop to the tear drop instead.

Hi Dukedog

Like the new design however I would remove the reverse loop and put in a small steam depot ( or diesel / electric loco depot) in its place

To make the reversing triangle available to both lines I would remove the large station and add an extra cross over to allow a retune crossing next to the triangle.

The sidings are to short I would look to make the siding longer by incorporating points into the curves on both sides.

Hi all thank you again for the comments, the layout will be in a room and yes you got it bottom left is the door, the idea of the loop was really to change the direction of a complete train to get equal directional running. I think I might be missing something with the loop I have done it so i can reverse from both directions if i only have one point entry the loop can only reverse once or is that incorrect.

thanks

Hi Dukedog, really interesting discussion around your layout design. I'll throw my few cents into the pot for consideration. I agree with previous comments made with respect to fiddle yard lengths in the 2nd iteration of your track plan. If you are going to be running a primarily steam era layout, you will want generous lengths in your sidings to be able to stable decent length rakes (4-6 carriages?) away from the main running lines.

Are you committed to the idea of the central operating well? If it were me, I think I would look at running the boards around the walls with a break by the door so you're not having to climb underneath the board each time to access the centre of the room. It seems like you have sufficient space to be able to run an "pinched oval" design with the double main line turning back on itself by the door at the middle of the south wall, and again by the door on the east wall. That would give you four lines across the boards along much of the west and north walls, and allow you to see trains running in both directions through the same scenery without return loops.

Finally, there's no mention of elevation for the layout as yet. I will assume you're wanting to stay at one level as things stand; have you considered building on two levels? I know it adds considerably to the complexity of base board building but would equally open up the possibilities for track plan design. You could place a subtantial fiddle yard area on a lower level, or run both levels as scenic areas by varying the widths of the boards.

Anyway, just some thoughts that occurred to me while I have been following the discussion.

HK.

Thanks HornbyKiwi

Like your thinking no i am not committed to the central operating well. the room is about 10ft x 10ft the south end where the door is does have a step in to the room by about 1ft the width of the light gray area, not fully sure what you mean by a pinched oval.

Thanks Dukedog

Yes Dukedog, that was what I was thinking as an alternative to a continuous running layout with a central well. Of course, you still have that central area where you operate the layout from, you're just not having to climb under a board each time you want to run your trains. As 96RAF suggested, you could have a lift up or lift out removable board in the corner with the door if you wanted to run track around all four walls in continuous square loops.

I've had a quick go at your design just to show you what I was thinking in terms of the board shape, please excuse my lack of artistic ability! I've run the outer line into the corners in grey to indicate the full extent you could travel. Obviously there are many ways you could populate this board shape with track. The red arrow indicates where I might push the two inside tracks towards the two against the west wall to give the illusion of four running lines. You could spread the lines in that area and place platforms for a station, and put some sidings on the inside of that west board for stabling rakes alongside.

Like I said earlier, just a suggestion while you're still in the planning phase.

HK.

forum_image_62c048bac6fb5.thumb.png.d7915195a79a92bcfd140ec6fba641e7.png