German F86 Sabres,

GordiMac

Hi GordiMac

The the German Air Force flew 225 late production Canadair Sabre 6’s which is not accurately represented by the latest Airfix F-86F-40 without modification. You would need to remove the 18” wing extensions at the tip and modify the tip and ailerons as the end of Sabre 6 ailerons form that part of the tip or source the tips and ailerons from the earlier Airfix Sabre 4 kit.

The earlier Airfix Sabre 4 kit can be used to model the Canadair Sabre 5 and early production Sabre 6’s. The German Air Force flew 75 Sabre 5’s in their OTU WS (Waffenschule) 10.

They also flew F-86K Sabres as All Weather Interceptors.

Flightdecs decal set FLD4804 includes markings for Canadair F-86 Sabre Mks 2/4/6 (5) Mk.2 19224/AP-224 413 Sqn RCAF Zweibrucken 1954; Mk.4 XB872/R 234 Sqn RAF Geilenkirchen 1962; XD753 66 Sqn RAF Linton-on-Ouse 1956; Mk.6 JA-120 JG71 Richtofen Bundesluftwaffe 1960; 23707 RCAF 707 434 Bluenose Sqn Zweibrucken

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks very much for the help and advice it is very much appreciated.I found an excellent sheet of decals from Paddinghaus in Germany which I will use,another question I ask,what is the nearest paint color for the silver grey underside.Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the help and advice it is very much appreciated.I found an excellent sheet of decals from Paddinghaus in Germany which I will use,another question I ask,what is the nearest paint color for the silver grey underside.Thanks again.

Hi GordiMac

Warpaint No. 40 Canadair & Commonwealth Sabres indicates German Sabre camouflage as:

RAL 6014 Gelboliv

RAL 7012 Basaltgrau

RAL 7001 Silbergrau

They are available from AK and maybe else where.

tim

Isthe windscreen that you described as a V is that what is seen on the F86A version of the aircraft?

Yes. It was used on all F-86A’s and early E’s including Canadair Sabre 2’s. The optically flat windscreen was introduced in the F-86E-10’s and Canadair Sabre 4’s and of course F-86F’s

Tim

Hi Tim
Isthe windscreen that you described as a V is that what is seen on the F86A version of the aircraft?

Rod

The RAF operated three Sabre 2’s with the V windshield

KB530 ex 19378

KB531 ex 19384

KB532 ex19404

These aircraft flew over from Canada in the Sept 1952 Leapfrog 2 operation with No. 2 wing RCAF (416, 421 &430 Sqd). They flew into North Luff to initiate training for the RAF Ferry Unit pilots while 2 wing carried on to their new base in Grostenquin France

Hi GordiMac
Warpaint No. 40 Canadair & Commonwealth Sabres indicates German Sabre camouflage as:
RAL 6014 Gelboliv
RAL 7012 Basaltgrau
RAL 7001 Silbergrau
This is for Sabre 6 “JB-360” of JG72 “Viking”
Another Sabre 6 “JD-105” of JG74 shows
RAL 6014 Gelboliv
RAL 7012 Basaltgrau
RAL 5014 Pigeon Blue

• 1 month later...

Hello GordiMac

I may have misspoken regarding the new Airfix F-86F-40 suitability to model the Canadair Sabre 6 as flown by the German Airforce in the 50’s & 60’s. I just read an article in Aircraft Model World that indicates that the new kit adds an extra frame of parts for the slatted, extended wing but still includes the short span frame (the way that I read it)

you just have replace the extended wing tip / aileron assembly with the non-extended ones of the older kit.

I am excited to get this kit now because conversion to a Sabre 6 looks easy and a conversion to early slatted short cord Sabre 4 maybe with in reach with some cutting and filing.

Sabre 6s were flown by the German Airforce, the South African Airforce, the Colombian Airforce, the Pakistan Airforce, the Bangladesh Airforce and the RCAF

Cheers,

Tim