How do I repair a broken rail?

Lee-1254235

Hi,

Couldn't find anything online so joined the forum today to see if anyone can help.

My metal rail has become detached from the plastic base along its length. I'm trying to clip it back into place (I can see the little clips where it needs to go) but don't want to snap the plastic. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Lee.

@Lee

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

I have changed the title of your thread to try to ensure it describes the problem.

You may find that the reason the rail has parted company with the plastic sleepers, is because the small moulded clips are broken. If that is the case the best solution is probably the bin.

I assume it is flexitrack, that is always doing it. Sometimes it is because it is old and the plastic degrades. Given the weather at the moment I could see it pinging out when it expands with nowhere to go. As someone said pull the track from the other end where it has separated with a pair of long nosed pliers past the split part and then thread it back. Trouble is if you have graveled the track it is a bit more difficult but possible.

I forgot to mention that the rail in question is on the outside straight edge of a points section. Between them, my wife and her grandson managed to tear the whole thing off trying to remove a fishplate on the end!

There is a little protruding metal tab on the rail near the switch part. I'm not sure I can thread it through cleanly because of this little blighter.

Hiya - As RDS say above - don't bother - I've tried to re-thread the rail back onto the plastic sleeper but the little small moulded clips just back off - best bet - just buy new track & then you know you won't get any probs in the future!!! 😉🚂

I agree - as it is a point they are so fragile at the toe end, that a successful repair is unlikely, so bin it and use another one. I have several where the toe end sleepers have fallen apart.

If the rail is flat bottomed, if the sleeper base is in reasonable condition and if it's just a question of broken clips, superglue gel may provide an answer. Be sure to get everything clean and slightly roughened to provide a key, ensure that the rail goes back flat to the base and make sure that any electrical connections are sound (superglue is not conductive so some soldering may be required). I have successsfully repaired broken points but it is a fiddle and replacement may well be a better option.