Peco SmartSwitch startup current

PastorDave

Hi, I am using 5 Peco SmartSwitch pls-125 boxes with 15 servos at present. On startup all servos activate and trip out the tan valley accessory bus. If I take one SmartSwitch away the system powers up correctly.

the problem appears to be the initial current demand. Is there any way this can be delayed to gain a smoother startup. Any other suggestions

I am using DCC so the SmartSwitch’s also have accessory decoders attached.

thankyou

We have seen this problem with other multi-acc decoders even though the overall load is within protection limits and as you say it is the inrush current of the full load tripping the main system protection.

The answer given then and likely applicable in your case is to insert manual switches so the load can be applied more gradually and the system will then carry the load. No doubt this could be done electronically if you had the skill-set, but I don’t know of such a commercial product.

The Smartswitch control board is only optionally powered from the DCC track voltage. It can also be powered by 12 volts DC.

Obviously the decoder board needs to be connected to the DCC supply for control, but the inrush current is consummed by the control board not the decoder.

So the obvious solution is to power the five control boards from a shared separate high current 12 volt DC supply. These can be sourced easily enough with currents from 4 to 10 amps at regulated 12 volts DC.

Thank you for the comments. I am temporarily using a switch to switch on the last unit but this is not ideal as I am looking to add more point controllers soon. I think I will look at the 12V DC supplies for the SmartSwitch boxes and run this on another power bus.

thankyou, Dave