Spares where are they

Go to "Shop" on the home page, then select "Train Sets & Rolling Stock" and finally "Parts & Spares".

Unless you know the R- or X-number for the part/pack you need, you can check most models against their Service Sheet to determine the part/pack number by going to the Useful Links sticky post at the top of this Forum section and choosing which source you wish to use.

I always shop around by googling "hornby spares" and looking at the various model railway suppliers that pop up, also try Ebay. When I wanted some traction tyres for a Chinese-made tender drive loco the only place that had them was a model shop in Malta!

Yes I have used that one in Malta. I always Google, it is amazing the price difference for the same part. For the part I ordered this morning surprisingly Hornby were the cheapest. Normally Lendons wins hands down. The famous one is always more expensive than anyone, but sometimes they have parts that you can't get anywhere else. Sadly though they are running out of those.

Generally when I have used them there are no issues and I have used them after Brexit. A lot of the time they are a little bit cheaper, the only down side is it takes a bit longer to come, but no hidden charges. Perhaps Hornby should do what Bachmann do and handle the spares themselves, but do it properly like Bachmann does. They already have a spares system set up they just need to stock it better.

The issue is going to come very soon when someone's two year loco that they paid over £200 for breaks, and there are no spare parts to fix it. On a £50 it is not so much of an issue but if lets say a W1 at £224 breaks then I think there aren't going to be too many happy customers. Then of course if a particular loco, has a reputation for a particular part breaking, then their resale value will drop like a brick.