1978 BR Intercity Set - Cat R.696

GB1972

Folks,

I have had the above BR Intercity Set since I was a kid, it was hardly used and has been in storrage for the last 30 years. Its now time for someone to get better benefit from this! As you can see its mint coniditon and in full working order. box has wear, but nothing too serious. The problem I have is that I have no idea how much this is worth in todays market. Seek some advice from the professionals and enthusiasts! Thanksforum_image_62e93bc014ac9.png.21abe48dcd0c067ed980e125135f2db5.pngforum_image_62e93bc279a27.png.b6be55af10378f5830730b57dd9c84c8.png

Price will depend on condition. Ebay prices tend to be over inflated so shouldn't be used as a guide. Toy and train fair prices generally give a more realistic stable price as does Ramsay's guide.

The set is quite common place, in mint factory fresh condition the set is an easy £100.

Sadly your set isn't mint, the box has damage to the polystyrene tray, rough box lid, missing instructions, and a few bits missing, you can pick these sets up for around £45 - £55 with otherwise mint contents. The condition of a box can often effect the value of the contents. As others here will tell you, condition of model and box and completeness are everything when it comes to price.

If it only sells for £45 to £50 then you are better off selling it as bits. Loco is worth about £30 or more, carriages about £10 each or more, controller at least £5.00. I bought this set new in1979, Boots used to sell them then, it was in their sale. I sold the class 37 loco recently, I am sure it went for about £40, it is a class 37 which everyone wants.