DCC fitted locos not responding to Select commands

james-1234711

I have recently retired and my friends st work got me a model train set. I am a complete novice to the hobby. I thought I would give dcc a go so bought a hornby select controller. The first train I purchased was the accurascale deltic this works fine. I purchased a used steam loco with dcc fitted. This is dead nothing happens so sent it back to be looked at. I then purchased a second used loco dcc fitted. This is also dead, the chances of both being faulty are slim. The question is am I doing something wrong. Thanks for any help, jimmy

Mod note - title amended to add more detail for future searches.

It is presumed that your first loco being new from a set had a decoder fitted as does your new Deltic and that these ran on the default address of 3 and that you have now given them both a new address within the Select allowable range for loco of 1 to 59.

It is further assumed that there actually is a decoder installed in the other locos as you say they are DCC-Fitted and not DCC-Ready and that they do not respond to the default address of 3. As you say they were both used the chances are the previous owner hasn’t reset the decoder and they likely have an address outwith the range 1 to 59. Simply write a new address to the loco making sure no other locos are on track when you do it.

If a loco buzzes when placed on a DCC track then it does not have a decoder fitted and must not be left on track or used with DCC until it is fitted with a decoder or it can damage the motor.

@James

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Is your select on the latest software version?

1.6 and 2.0 allow for writing address to any cv.

It might be worth trying to write 8 to cv 8 to reset it and see if you have any luck with that.

Once reset the loco will be number 3 until you change it