Hornby setrack points R8072 continuity

GeoffBristol

Testing a set of points - new Hornby ( came with a set ) - when set - I am getting both rails leading from the frog live same polarity ? ie - the two rails at the V leading out of the point are continuous - which if the point was on a loop would just be a dead short with no insulated joiner ?

Its acting like an electrofrog ?

Its only roughly been used as a bit of temp sidings - so has not shown up as a problem.

All the main points we used were new peco.

The old point is acting as an insulfrog should - ie - when thrown, one of the two v's leading out becomes live and the other dead - vice verse ?

The Hornby would work ok with both insulated - but it should work without ?

I am testing these with a meter off the track so no other inputs ?

edit - pic addedforum_image_62f831a7040d7.thumb.png.9fd0cedbdaaff324235dc777b0510319.png

Mod note - title amended to clarify.

That's a weird one. I tested two identical set of points and a right hand one and they switched correctly. It sounds as if there is a short under the frog, probably a manufacturing fault. I don't see that there is much you can do about it, as you can't really take it apart, unless anyone has other ideas.

Having seen this I will definitely test all points before putting them into a layout.

Thanks - helps to know its wrong ! I was only trying to sort out the advantage of isolating dead frog points at these inner v joints - to help stop shorts on old rolling stock - trust me to find a duff one !

I had it on my friends track - but only as part of a temp inner siding - where such a fault can go un-noticed.

I checked it again this morning - the entire point blades - and both the 'v' after the frog are all continuous - hence all the same polarity of the rail one blade touches, The frog ipair of short rails are dead ?

@Geoffrey

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’