Fitting R8106 Sound Decoder

Lynrob

Hi, I have fitted a R8106 Sound Decoder to my ABERDONIAN TRAIN PACK the speaker would not fit so purchased a sugar cube speaker all works fine, on re assembling the engine the wires disconnected from the decoder to the speaker from the decoder end, can anyone tell me where on the decoder the wires from the speaker connect to. Thank you Regards Robin

See here. The twisted red and black wires at the long side of the decoder in the box marked SPK. Your soldering skills need to be spot on for this kind of work. Tape the decoder to the bench to prevent it moving and do the same with the wires if you can.

https://i0.wp.com/www.strathpefferjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Hornby-TTS-Decoder-Stay-Alive-Installation-Instructions-Rectifier-Side-V1.jpg?ssl=1

Hi 96 RAF Thank you very much for the link and advise, looking at the photo in the link and at my R8106 chip under the magnifying glass, it seems that the wires are broken at the underside of the place that it shows in the photo, do you think this might be the case, the post that it shows in the photo looks like a soldering point that hasn't been used. Would appreciate you knowledgable opinion on this, thank you Regards Robin

Hi again 96RAF, as you say very spot on soldering, I was wondering, having looked at a couple off you tube soldering tips, if there is a whole under the solder that is on the chip that the speaker wire goes through the whole and then fill whole with solder, what do you think. Regards Robin

This is the other side Robin ...

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/download/hornby-tts-decoder-stay-alive-installation-instructions-cob-side/?wpdmdl=1087&refresh=6309bef1ed6151661583089

Electrically it doesn’t matter which side you use but mechanically the side with the pad will allow you to form a small fillet of solder to help support the wires.

It is not unknown for these wires to drop off and I have in some cases laid the speaker wires against the edge of the pcb and secured with a dab of hot glue feeding in the direction of the speaker. Sticky blak-tak would serve just as well.

What you are supposed to do, although it is a difficult job is remove the solder from the two holes with a sucker or braid, take each wire, strip, twist and tin it and then push it through the hole. As it is what we call a "plated through hole as you solder to the board on one side the solder will flow to both sides of the board, making a really solid joint. I have noticed Hornby and lot of people just tack the wire to the edge of the solder pad, removing the solidity that a "plated through hole gives you".