Class 73 lighting

M. Matthews

I have a pair of Gbrf Class 73’s that I’m trying to get up to a decent standard but being railroad models, they do not come with any sort of lighting.

I’m looking for some advice on the best way to get some lighting in them as I haven’t been able to find any specific kit for this model.

Also, it appears that the position of the “dummy” lights on this model do not match the positions on the real thing.

The models are dcc chipped and I’m extremely limited in knowledge on how I would wire these in. Is there anything available similar to the traintech range than are battery powered and triggered by movement to make this easier?

Both models would only need lighting on one end as I always run them in the same formation with network rail coaches although they would need to be able to change between white and red depending on direction of travel.

Am I best off just taking them to a professional? I hope I have provided enough information and I thank you all for any advice you may have.

If your model is DCC fitted then you might be better off looking at the DCC section of the forum rather than General Discussion. I don't know if the decoder fitted to your loco has an auxiliary output, which is what you would need for lighting. The DCC experts should be able to help.

If you were using analogue you could easily get the lights to change colour when the locos changed direction by sensing the polarity of the power voltage applied. Unfortunately with DCC the power is a constant 15 V AC waveform with commands embedded in it.

You could power lighting by rectifying the power voltage, which is what you would do with analogue, but as the DCC power/control signal is always present the lights would always be on.

Battery-powered lights are intended mainly for unpowered rolling stock such as coaches. If you are running your power cars and coaches as a unit it might be easier to run wires from the power cars into the coaches.

Addendum: Just to clarify, if you were using analogue (which you aren't) and wanted to get the lights to change colour when the unit reversed, you wouldn't full-wave rectify the power voltage as this would only give one polarity of voltage to the lights. You would use a diode to half-wave rectify the power voltage with a positive polarity and use it to charge a capacitor with a positive voltage to power white lamps or LEDs for one direction, and half-wave rectify the power voltage with a negative polarity to charge a capacitor to power red lamps or LEDs for the opposite direction.

When I was fitting lighting to my old Hornby diesel locos I remember this one I avoided. No issue with driving the lights via DCC the big issue was fitting them. The chassis base comes up quite high. The only bit I figured would be easy to light would be the destination board number, then I was worried about "light bleed", so in the end I didn't bother. You could look to see what kits are available and if they have pictures then you could see if you can replicate it.

@topcat & @ColinB

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

The decoders are standard hornby 8 pin decoders. I did hope that there might just be somewhere to solder wires in but I really am a beginner when it comes to stuff like this so I guess I could be way off.

ColinB you are definitely right about the chassis! Not really sure how it would work but I’d hoped maybe someone has done it before without too much surgery.

I may have to look at the other class 73 on the market, although I’ve heard quite a lot of negative about this model.

Try here - designed for the old Lima body
https://www.expressmodels.co.uk/catalogue/head-and-tail-lights/dcc-locomotive-lights-4mm-scale/dcc-lights-for-diesel-locomotives-4-function/lima-class-73-with-headlights-detail

Thanks. I came across this one on my search but it appears to be headlights only. And it’s out of stock.

A lot of their stuff is out of stock as they are a small business and make to order.

If you want more complex lighting then go for a decoder with more functions, although you may have to swap the 8-pin socket for a 21-pin socket. A decoder has a common positive and the functions are floating switched negatives. You could use your own leds and resistors and with a suitable decoder arrange for any prototypical day/night display.

A standard Hornby decoder will work, they are only Leds so it will source enough, there is a guy on EBay (bwtechnical) that does a small PCB with surface mount resistors so it makes it neater or alternatively you can use a "commoned" resistor pack which I have also used. The 8 pin decoder comes with a flying lead for the extra function so you could use that for cab lights. As I said before electrical is no issue, but mechanical is a bit more of an issue. I have some of the old Lima ones that I converted to the latest Hornby specification by buying all the bits, but I also have a couple of Dapol ones that do have lights. The Dapol ones for me aren't that bad, it all depends on which one you get. I wouldn't recommend buying one second hand though as they have pickups that sit inside the gear housing which is not a good combination. Model railway designers fascinate me with their lack of electrical contact knowledge like putting pickups in a place where they can get covered in oil.

Also worth recognising that the 73/9 models from Hornby are just livery/numbers on the earlier 73 classes and do not reflect the lighting or grill configurations of the later sub-class; I don’t believe any manufacturer has tooled the later variant yet…So, if you’re trying to replicate a prototype find one that is an earlier class or be prepared to do major surgery!

Also worth recognising that the 73/9 models from Hornby are just livery/numbers on the earlier 73 classes and do not reflect the lighting or grill configurations of the later sub-class; I don’t believe any manufacturer has tooled the later variant yet…So, if you’re trying to replicate a prototype find one that is an earlier class or be prepared to do major surgery!

Now this makes sense! Although I feel a bit cheated. As I work for Network Rail, I was trying to replicate something I see whilst I’m out on track but I may just have to focus on something else completely. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...