Hornby King James I not working on DCC

TVR1707822112

Hi all

I own Hornby's model of King James I (king class) and also a TTS decoder. This TTS decoder works absolutely fine on my NCE PowerCab system in other locomotives such as my class 153 (for testing purposes only, I know it's diesel not steam). In The king, however, when It's address is entered into the handset it fails to respond. After a few minutes of pushing it up and down the track by hand to see if it's poor electrical conductivity it will speed forwards at top speed for about 0.5 seconds before shorting the system out. None of my other locos do this. Also, when picked up, the metal tyres on the wheels appear to be shredding fine bits of metal shavings (like iron filings). What could be causing this please and what do I need to do to fix?

Thanks and best wishes

TVR

Total continuity check of that loco required from rails to motor, especially at the DCC socket for mis-wiring and/or solder tracking pin to pin.

The fact it runs OK on analogue simply means the outer four pins are good.

If any of the inner four pins are shorting either to each other or their outer neighbours the decoder can do odd things like runaway.