Britannia tender top won't come off

Mikey1707822023

Hi all,

I have a Brittania that is part of the Diamond Jubilee Royal Train set. It has the white cab top. It's DCC ready, so I bought a sound chip, checked the intructions and they state remove just two screws but the tender top won't come off. It won't budge. The instructions say pull the chassis down then remove the front but it absolutely wont budge, even with the screws out. It feels as if it is fixed right at the back between the buffers. Any ideas please? It is really annoying.

Moderator Edit:

Your post title has been edited to remove the three exclamation marks used. We have found that almost any punctuation marks, especially if repeated, confuse the search algorithms. R-

I had similar trouble with the tender on my own Britannia.

There is a very small lip at the front end of the upper portion of the tender that locks into the lower. I had to arch the top section up at the front only to dislodge this connection. Then continue to arch it up and backwards and it eventually pops apart.

I was absolutely sure I was going to break mine trying to get it apart, but it did eventually come apart with nothing broken.

I have had lots of issues getting tender tops off to fit DCC. I have posted before I think during the printing/painting process the paint is soft, so when you try and get the top off the paint acts like glue. I know it is not much help, but on my new Evening Star the top came off easily, so Hornby have obviously recognised the issue. The other thing to check is the screws are fully out and then try to wobble the tender up and down and hopefully it will release itself. Oh I forgot, check there aren't any levers at the front connecting tender top to bottom.