DCC immediate start

Mike65

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get a dcc loco, controlled by a new Hornby Select, to start immediately?

I have defined the acceleration as '0' or '1', but the engine takes some seconds to actually pull away after I have set the control dial to max.

This is my first dcc loco and whilst I appreciate the 'more realistic' argument, being very old, I am used to, and would like, my loco to respond to immediate control dial changes.

Thanks for any hepl you may be able to gie.

Mod note - post moved to DCC section

Your ability to achieve your requirement depends upon two things. What DCC decoder is fitted to your loco and the firmware revision of your Select controller.

Not all decoders can be configured for immediate start and those who do, need to have a DCC CV value edited, which requires a Select controller to have a minimum version 1.6 firmware installed.

So you need to tell the forum, which decoder is installed and the Select firmware level before a detailed 'how to' or not as the case may be can be posted.

You say the Select is 'new', but it may only be 'new' to you as opposed to 'new' from the factory. If it is genuinely 'brand new' then it would be expected to have firmware 2.0 which is above the 1.6 minimum. That would just leave the decoder model to be identified.

OK, thanks for your replies.

I sent the Select controller back to the factory and it has been upgraded to the latest software versions by Hornby for £15 (a bargain I thought).

I'm not sure which decoder is fitted but the loco is a Hornby R3285TTS LNER 4-6-2 'Gadwell' bought from Ebay and runs and sounds fine.

Your loco has a TTS decoder. Look at the decoder manual and look to see if CV201 is listed in the supported CV's. If it is, then change the value to 0 (zero) which is the zero start delay option. The default value is likely to be 25 which is a start delay of 2.5 seconds.

Your Select firmware revision level is shown as the very first numerical number to appear on the Select screen as it is powered up. This number needs to be 16. This will depend upon how recently you returned the Select to Hornby for an upgrade. If it was some time ago, it may display 15 which will not allow you to edit CV201.

I don't have any TTS locos, but removing the delay may possibly affect the synchronisation of the engine sounds when moving off.

CV201 is supported by TTS decoders and has a default value of 25 - i.e. 2.5 seconds delay which as seen below in this extract is there for a purpose.

Likewise CV3 is set at a default value of 15 for similar reasons.

If you think you have messed up any CV settings simply write value 8 to CV8 then give your loco it old address back as a reset puts the address to 03.

forum_image_633ee987a4cad.thumb.png.eb2a1706e7142f1b5ce91fe85efb3182.png