Controlling Hornby R8247 Points Decoders with DR5000 and iTrain

almay999

What does their manual say about addressing acc decoders in general. Most similar packages use either a straight ongoing numeric port address i.e. 1 to xx or they use module and port address i.e. module 1 and ports 1-4, then module 2 and ports 1-4, etc.

I guess a lot will depend upon what kit list is revealed when you hit the Interface drop down.

Start reading the iTrain manual from the bottom of page 64. This section states that it is wriiten specifically for programming loco decoders but also states that the written loco guidance is also applicable 'in principle' to programming accessory decoders as well.

Also note that 'out of the box' the R8247 is factory configured to addresses 1 to 4, so you only need to configure addresses of additional R8247's when more than one R8247 is being installed.

R8247's are capable of being operated (controlled) by any brand of controller that is capable of operating accessory decoders configured with addresses in the controllers supported range. Thus in that respect, using iTrain should not be a significant issue if it is assumed that iTrain is capable of operating accessories as well as locos, there is nothing in the iTrain manual that I can see that negates that functionality.

Thanks for your input. The issue I have is regarding initial state. eLink sends two distinct commands to the 8247 to set direction. At the moment, the iTrain is sending commands that switch state rather than setting a state. It's those two different commands that I am looking for info on.

Thanks for your input. The issue I have is regarding initial state. eLink sends two distinct commands to the 8247 to set direction. At the moment, the iTrain is sending commands that switch state rather than setting a state. It's those two different commands that I am looking for info on.

ELink has a special handshake with RM hence it will not play nice if at all with other packages. I tried it with Rocrail and failed as it was sending x5 commands. The command sent is standard NMRA DCC accessory command format - tell it which module and which port of that module using regular group addressing then tell it which direction.

Your DR5000 obviously talks to iTrain and can work stand alone with R8247 v2.0 so if Special Mode (8 port addressing) fits the requirement then well done for getting it sorted.

Almay999,

The problem is that virtually every (but not necessarily 100% of all brands) other than Hornby branded Accessory Decoders are address configured using 'self learning' technology. This super smart technology has passed Hornby by. Hornby still use the 'PROG' output of their controllers for the R8247 whereas 'self learning' decoders are address programmed on the main layout (not the PROG output) by being put in a special listening mode which is not supported on the R8247.

A possible workaround which is purely theoretical is that you could download the free JMRI software which includes 'Decoder Pro'. D.P should be compatible with your DR5000 controller and might be able to programme the R8247 as an accessory.

Read pages 6 then 5 of the R8247 Rev 2 manual where it talks to programming PADs using a controller that does not support direct accessory decoder programming by writing the port addresses group number to CV1. There is also mention of how Special Mode 1 (8-port group addressing) is handled under these controller conditions.

Finally got it working. I am addressing each port individually using Special Mode 2. Still have one bug though, I don't seem able to program any ports as continuous output. I am going to get some Train-Tech relays to control my lighting cicuits and a fairground ride I have built.

Finally got it working. I am addressing each port individually using Special Mode 2. Still have one bug though, I don't seem able to program any ports as continuous output. I am going to get some Train-Tech relays to control my lighting cicuits and a fairground ride I have built.

Read the v2.0 manual bottom of page 5 then quick rules on page 7 ref CVs 3-6 (value 0 for continuous) noting CVs 38-45 (number of pulses) are then negated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got elink and updated it to the latest version. I have connected the R8247 to the elink program port on the elink. Programming is carried out via the “track input signal” connection. Having done this I program the R8247 by pressing the tick button, wait for an hour . Nothing shows on the screen which is what I expect.

Should something appear do I now press the blue diagonal blue button. Then do I connect the track input signal to the the bus of the track and connect the points to the port 1?

Mod note - as this query is not associated with the OP’s problem it is suggested you start a new thread in the Railmaster section for your problem rather than inappropriately hi-jack this one. This post will be deleted after sight of your own post.